Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Firefox profile and bookmarks

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ecc

ecc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

I finally got tired of all of those JavaScript errors popping up in Firefox and started looking for solutions. I installed the newest Java update and used JavaRa to get rid of the old versions. After that Firefox would not start at all. I assumed it had to do with the newest update - there's a lot of "Firefox not responsive" and "Firefox sucks" stuff out there re: the most recent update - and Safe Mode would not open either. I uninstalled it and installed the previous version 3.5.12 but now I guess it was a problem with my profile because that version wouldn't open either (it appeared in the task manager processes but would not actually open). I created a new default profile and was able to open it and surf the net but my bookmarks were gone (since it was a new profile). I copied my bookmarks html file into the new profile and the places file (which has the live bookmarks) but for some reason one entire large subfolder of bookmarks is missing.

When I opened the bookmarks file from the current profile in the browser the files are not there but when I drag and drop the file from the old profile and did a text search for some of the links that I could not see under "organize bookmarks" and they seem to still be there but for some reason the folder (and its several subfolders - sometimes I use the "bookmark all tabs" function so it creates a subfolder) with the bookmarks will not display. Some of the stuff is unimportant - just what I happened to be looking at at the time and either didn't close a tab before I decided to exit or I thought I might want to read it again or more of it later - but there are also some links for project stuff (I'm one of those people who might have like 20 tabs open - some work, some news, facebook, email, maybe a YouTube window for something I'm listening to or a tab with a Netflix streaming thing playing) so its all kind of mixed up.

I tried copying every file from my old profile and replacing the new profile files but Firefox would not open again (so I guess it is some other thing got corrupted in the old profile) so I did the whole Create New Profile and dropped my bookmarks and places files into the new profile. Livebookmarks had to be copied from the "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder" to the "Bookmarks Toolbar" to display and the bookmarks were back but that large folder was still missing even though. It is there in the old bookmarks.html file but when I drop it into the new profile (or use the import html) function, the folder disappears.

I'm thinking about downloading the newest Firefox if it is not the update that caused problems and I'm hoping that by some miracle, importing the bookmarks from the old profile will magically result in all of my bookmarks being restored but before I do this, I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users