Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting from External Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rob the Newbie

Rob the Newbie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:36 PM

Okay, I am a newbie to Linux and wanted to try something, yet it seems that the things I want to do always sound simple, but seem to not be possible or easy to do for a newbie. So, tell me if this is not easy:

My computer can boot from a USB drive; I used an install disk to install Linux to the external drive. However, the GRUB (or whatever) that it put on made it so that I could not load Windows 7 (on my internal drive) unless the external drive was attached. So I used EasyBCD to restore my Windows bootloader.

So, I just want to do this: set up a kind of dual boot option so that if the external drive is plugged in, it sees a Linux MBR (or whatever) and loads that; otherwise, it continues with Windows 7 if it is not plugged in. Yet it would seem that if I make the usb drive the first that the BIOS sees, it does not see anything to boot off of the external.

Do I make any sense at all to anyone?!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

Why not just download a Live Linux CD, and use that because what you are wanting to do would require the WIndows HDD to be removed each time you want to use Linux.

Only one drive can store the MBR.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

Maybe this is what you want.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Install your favorite Linux operating system on a flash drive or USB key no larger than your thumb (Thumb Drive). Your Portable Linux operating system can then be run from any computer that can boot from a USB flash device, allowing you to bring your entire operating system, desktop, applications, files, email, personal settings, favorites, games and more with you. Itís your own personal operating system you can carry in your pocket.

At Pendrivelinux, we provide simplified portable Linux flash drive installation tutorials and USB Linux installer scripts, making is easy for anyone to install, boot and run their favorite Linux from a flash pen drive!
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users