Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Colors missing on pool balls in game

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 parrotplay

parrotplay

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 16 May 2004 - 04:58 AM

In Pogo, High Stakes Pool, that I just recently started playing, well, having a difficult time telling which balls are striped, which are solids..they pretty much look the same, causin me to "foul" alot...just because I thought was shooting at my balls...not the opponents. Also, the colors on the balls are wrong...I only get Black, White and Yellow on the balls, which adds to the confusion being difficult to distinguish what ball is what. I actually thought it was how the game was supposed to appear, but just played on anothers 'puter, they game, the balls...looked almost like a real table and balls look like...all the balls their respective colors...as in real pool. Had no problems telling the stripes from the solids..crystal clear.

Have contacted Pogo but nothing has resolved this for me, nothing worked that they directed me to do. Anybody have a clue about this? I am not sure what even controls that type of thing...where to to check what may be wrong. Is it a video card, that type of thing. Want to play with peeps, not bots..but won't until I can hit my own balls...and not look lame...lol.

Thanx all...is very appreciated!! parrotplay :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:06 AM

Have you tried updating your java version? Some games require newer versions to work properly.
Get it here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 16 May 2004 - 10:50 AM

Hi parrotplay, welcome to BC.

HuckerJ is correct. Pogo makes extensive use of Java applets so most problems on that site can be traced back to issues with Java. Pogo's Game Support help center is pretty helpful, but they are recommending installing and upgrading the MS Java Virtual Machine (MSJVM). I would advise against that, for several reasons, but the most important is that true Java by Sun Microsystems is much more secure. You can run Sun's Java with no worries about it conflicting with the MSJVM if you have it set up as the default, which should happen automatically when you install it.

Here's how to make sure java is properly configured, from one of Pogo's Q & A's:

If you've recently upgraded or re-installed the Sun Java 2 plugin, and you're still having problems, please make sure that you've enabled the plugin for your browser. Here's how to do that:

When you download and install the Sun Java VM, you can choose to use it in Internet Explorer and/or Netscape (depending on what's installed on your computer.) To make sure Internet Explorer is using the Sun Java VM, please follow these instructions:

- Click on START
- Choose 'Settings-Control Panel'
- Click on the 'Java Plug-in 1.4...' icon
- Click the 'Browser' Tab
- Make sure there's a check in the box next to the browser you're using (Internet Explorer or Netscape. Choose Internet Explorer if you're using AOL)

If you're using Internet Explorer or AOL, you'll also want to do the following:
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click on the 'Tools' menu.
- Choose 'Internet Options'
- Click the 'Advanced' Tab
- Scroll down to the 'Java (Sun)' listing
- Make sure the 'Use Java...' item has a check in the box next to it.
- Click OK

This will ensure that the browser is using the Java VM from Sun, and not the default version.

If your browser is properly using the Sun Java 2 plugin for Java content, you'll see a little purple coffee cup in your Windows system tray (by the system clock) when you try to log into a game on Pogo.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users