Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Advanced Restore of backup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 clairekw

clairekw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:53 PM

My father made a complete back of his computer before his laptop died and I am trying to restore it for him. The backup, made using Windows Vista Backup and Restore, is stored on an external hard drive.

I am using the Advance Restore option to "restore everything in this backup." However, at the next step, I get an error message saying that the files I am restoring have security permissions for a user account which could not be found on this computer. I am then instructed to create a user account with the same name as the missing account, so that the files will be reassigned to that user account. However, it says that the missing user account is called "deercreeklaptop\kennedy-wilkins" and the space to create the name for a new user account is too short to type all that in, and I'm not sure if it will accept the "\" character either.

Any suggestions on how to proceed - other than restoring the files without reassigning security permissions? Let me know if you need more information. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 face pirate

face pirate

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:41 PM

deercreeklaptop is the computer name presumably

and kennedy-wilkins is the username, that is all you need to type into the username box

hope that helps
Posted Image

Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

#3 clairekw

clairekw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:02 PM

I tried just using "kennedy-wilkins" as the user name, but it still doesn't let me proceed. The next error message I get is:

The user account deercreeklaptop\kennedy-wilkins was not found for the following reason: No mapping between account names and security IDs was done. (0X80070534) Please ensure that you created a user account with the same name.

I don't know where to go from here.

In case it is relevant, the new laptop has a different name than the old laptop (deercreeklaptop).

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

try changing the laptops name to what it was before.

#5 face pirate

face pirate

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:44 PM

yes the computer name must be the same for the security permissions to be recognised for that user, but then windows may still be picky after that :huh:
Posted Image

Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

#6 clairekw

clairekw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for your help. Changing both the computer name and user name worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users