Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iBook G4 hard drive replacement issues...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:44 PM

Well I finnally got sick of the restrictions of having an old slow and small hard drive I finnaly gave in and placed a new on in my iBook G4 12 inch with PPC 1.2 GHZ, and low and behold it wont load CD's in the CD drive for some reason after I put the new one in? So.. I just got angry and put the old one back and went on my way that was 10 weeks ago or so now I am getting that annoying felling again and wondering if someone could tell me what I could do to remedy this situation so I can have a good sized hard drive in this awesome machine. :blink:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:06 PM

Hard drive or optical drive? They're two different things, aren't they? :blink: Which model did you install? Maybe it needs a firmware update. IDK much about troubleshooting hardware on a Mac though.

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

Got it to work found out it was a loose plug, but know I cannot get time machine to restore to the new hard drive? Any ideas on that?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

Any error dialogs?
Mac OS X 10.5: Using Time Machine and troubleshooting Time Machine issues
Time Machine - TROUBLESHOOTING

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

Well when I boot from the leopard install disc I select restore from time machine backup and get to the part where it asks me to selec which disc to restor from and nothing comes up?
sigcomp.png 

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:38 PM

I'd try disconnecting/reconnecting the time machine backup drive, then repair disk and repair permissions with DU.

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

NVM again I got it to work by just installing mac os x and then as it was going through the initial set up it gave me an option to restore from time machine backup. Thanks for the help though... :blink: I cannot help but wonder why it hadnt shown up but oh well.. I guess I will have to figure it out... It is so nice to have a 120 GB hard drive instead of a 30GB now I can install iLife 09..
sigcomp.png 

#8 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:21 PM

That's good. :blink: I thought OS X was already installed in the target disk. :wacko: :)

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

Nope had to do it it was a replacement hard disc. :blink:

Edited by computerxpds, 17 September 2010 - 08:35 PM.

sigcomp.png 

#10 bailey2007player

bailey2007player

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:19 AM

is iLife like iWork???

#11 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:03 AM

No they are two completely different things, iWork has pages and others and iLife has garageband and idvd and i movie and others see here:
iWork: http://www.apple.com/iwork/

iLife: http://www.apple.com/ilife/
sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users