Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Pro and Win 2000 Dual boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

Hi all,
Hope i've posted to the correct forum :thumbsup: .
One of my colleagues has requested me to clean up her PC (old P4) which has Win XP pro and win 2000 dual booted.
(I hasten to add that both of the OS's are 100% legal, just so that you know!!).

Plese advise on how to completely remove the Win 2000 OS without affecting the XP load.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

(Pressed the uplad button istead of the submit button, there is no attachment - sorry about that!)

Edited by Kevin384, 17 September 2010 - 02:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

I don't know anything about Win 2K...but it should be a simple deletion of the Win 2K partition and a slight modification of the boot.ini file, removing the entry for Win 2K.

The only part I'm dubious about is whether Win 2K is reflected via the boot.ini, but...since XP is based on it...I suspect that it's there.

It is, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022.

You need to make sure that the boot.ini is on the XP partition, not the one you delete.

Louis

#3 Kevin384

Kevin384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:48 PM

Thanks Louis,

I'll have a go at modifying the boot.ini file, as shown in the Microsoft link, but I am not sure which other file i shuld delete(?) - would it be the WINNT folder?

Also, to ensure that I am modifying the right Boot.ini, i assume that I would need to have booted into the XP OS - Correct?

I've just realised that I was so keen to look at the difficulties, that I overlooked the fact that the 2000 OS would of necessity be on a separate partition on the HDD - MY BAD :thumbsup:

Edited by Kevin384, 17 September 2010 - 03:05 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

If you look at the example of a boot.ini with both 2K and XP...provided in the MS link...you will see what lines are typical XP and what line is for 2K.

The boot.ini should reflect both O/Ses as long as the dual-boot is operative. Elimination of the 2k partition and then elimination of the 2K boot entry on the boot.ini...should take care of it.

Louis

#5 Kevin384

Kevin384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:46 PM

Thanks Louis,
I will have to get the machine up and working in the morning (it's now 10h45 PM here in RSA), am going to have a good night's rest, and start with a fresh outlook tomorrow.

I will post again once I have done the necessary.

Kevin

#6 Kevin384

Kevin384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:15 AM

Hi Louis,
I have just started this machine up, and found that, somehow, there is NO second partition on the HDD (20Gb by the way), but somehow, the boot menu allows a dual boot.

I have come to the conclusion that I must rather reload this machine, than try to figure it out. I do have the original windows CD, so it should be a snap.
Thanks for your time, I think that, under the circumstances, this thread can be closed,

Thanks for the assistance, I have learnt something on the way,

Kevin :thumbsup:

Edited by Kevin384, 18 September 2010 - 07:16 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:18 AM

Sorry to hear that you have to reinstall, but it's probably best...good luck :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:36 AM

It's probably too late since you probably reinstalled already but did you read the section in the link that Louis posted regarding using the bootcfg utility in XP Pro to remove an OS from the boot.ini file? After that, I would rename the WINNT directory, make sure XP booted and ran correctly, then delete the renamed WINNT directory.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#9 Kevin384

Kevin384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

Hi Strolin,
I did read Hamluis suggestion, but when I spoke to the owner, she said categorically "Just Reload the(bleep) thing, and be done with it", She needs the PC urgently, so I have already done just that - loading XP XP3 as i am adding thiss comment

Thanks for the reply, it is much appreciat :thumbsup: ed!

Regards,
Kevin.

Edited by Kevin384, 18 September 2010 - 10:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users