Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows cannot find "exauthp.dll"

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

I've been getting a error meassage "Windows cannot find "exauthp.dll" " when I start this computer .

I've tried searching, cleaning,fixboot,fixmbr,malwarebytes,avast scan,spybot s&d, etc. & cannot get rid of the error message.

I'm pretty good with computers but this one has me stumped !

Anybody have any ideas [short of a reinstall] ?

Attached Files

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

Download the following: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ to make a back up of your registry first.

Then proceeded with caution:

Go to start then run and type in regedit hit enter.

Hit control F and type in exauthp.dll

Hit enter and if it finds anything it will be located in the right hand side of the window delete only the entry pertaining to exauthp.dll.

DO NOT MESS ANYTHING ELSE

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:24 PM

I had already searched the registry & HD.
I cannot find ANYTHING on this computer pertaining to "exauthp.dll" other the the error message during startup.
The message goes away when I close it & the computer works perfect, with no issues, it just bugs me that I can't get rid of the error message during startup !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

Can you bring up msconfig and tell us whats in the start up. Or take a screenshot of it?

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:33 PM

I have StartupCPL installed & don't have much running at startup that isn't neccessary.

I recognise all that is in msconfig at startup.
Nothing looks unusual.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 17 September 2010 - 01:35 PM.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:36 PM

forgot the screenshot, anyhow I don't see it !

I have tried twice to post the msconfig screenshot & I still don't see the attachment ?

Edited by fairjoeblue, 17 September 2010 - 01:38 PM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:40 PM

Host it here: http://www.imageshack.us

Then use the following:
[img]linktoimagehere[/img]

Edited by cryptodan, 17 September 2010 - 01:41 PM.

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:44 PM

I uploaded it to Photobucket, I'll try that.

Ok, that didn't work, I'll try your img hosting.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/9917/msconfig.png

Edited by fairjoeblue, 17 September 2010 - 01:46 PM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

What does Malwarebytes come up with as far as logs? Something is definitely awry here.

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:55 PM

On a full scan MWB shows "No malicious items detected"

The only thinf SpyBot finds is, "Windows Firewall disabled" .

[I have Comodo installed]

No scan I have ran , including TrendMicro "House Call", has found anything !

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:56 PM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

#12 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:01 PM

Not trying to be a smart alec but Hijack This shows nothing out of the ordinary either.

What has me stumped is NOTHING finds anything but I get the error message !

I'm not a noob to doing this, I've been building/repairing computers for years.

I'm not saying I know it all, just that I know how to find viruses & malware .

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:11 PM

I think this merits a deeper look since the tools you have used haven't found much in the way of malware infections. It could be something hidden from detection. I have gone through what I usually do when I repair computers and what not.

Sometimes we need to be humbled. My wife's computer got a nasty rootkit, and I had to come here for help. After I did that I was extremely greatful that I am part of this community.

When requesting help its best to check our egos in at the door, and pick them up after the issue is resolved.

The Malware Team have more experience dealing with malware, and the tools and methods they use will find things a lot quicker then we can.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:32 PM

Welcome back, Stranger :thumbsup:.

I would suspect that the file mentioned refers to malware which has since been removed from the system...but a pointer still remains somewhere.

I would use Autoruns (more comprehensive than StartupCPL) and just go tab-by-tab...looking for anything that looks like it might be related to the file being named. The Logon tab of Autoruns reflects the typical startup items.

Louis

#15 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:27 PM

I fixed it.

I quit being lazy & reinstalled XP. :thumbsup:

If it had any malware causing the issue I'm pretty sure it's gone. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users