Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS XP WON'T GO PAST BLUE SCREEN

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 QUOMAN000

QUOMAN000

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:13 AM

Hi, When I start my computer, after logging in the blue screen appears and says "please wait whilst we load your settings". This is as far as it gets, I can only use the computer in Safe Mode. I have done a system restore, but that didn't help. The system has been running slow and I have run Malaware and Spybot and followed the advice given. Before logging off yesterday, Microsoft Security Systems informed me that I had over 100 problems and I ignored it as I was running late and switched the computer off, thinking I'd "clean" it today.

Anyone know what the problem might be and how to get rid of it? Thanks very much for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 darthaus

darthaus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

Have you tested the hardware? Memory, HDD, etc.
A failing HDD can cause any number of odd problems, same with bad memory. Test those first then let us know what the results are

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

Hi QUOMAN000, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

It would help if you were to post the make and model of this computer.

If this is a custom built computer, please post the make and model of the motherboard.

Since this is posted in the XP forum, I'm assuming that you are running Windows XP?

What service pack is installed. SP2, SP3?

One other question. Do remember exactly what the error message was?

Edited by dc3, 17 September 2010 - 11:36 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:02 PM

<<Microsoft Security Systems>>

No such product...

Louis

#5 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

dc3 if you are referring to a blue screen error message I don't think there was one, QUOMANOOO is talking about the blue welcome screen just before windows xp desktop loads up.

When ever I have a problem like this I just boot to the windows xp disk and use recovery console to do a CHKDSK C: /p /r

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:47 PM

LouisR47, what I was referring to was this...

Before logging off yesterday, Microsoft Security Systems informed me that I had over 100 problems.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:02 PM

OK, my bad dc3 I thought that you got confused like I did when I seen BLUE SCREEN in the title. :thumbsup:

#8 QUOMAN000

QUOMAN000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:13 AM

Thanks, I tried to create a recovery console, but when I type the command in the RUN box, even though I have treble checked it is the same, it states that the file can't be found. The CD is in the drive, when I leave the cmdcons out it does try to install XP, but nothing further. How do I check the memory/HDD etc??? Sorry to be a pain, but this is new to me!! :thumbsup: It was a custom built machine, how do I get the make of the motherboard?? It is XP SP3. Thanks again

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:32 AM

If you can boot into Safe Mode, try doing a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

#10 QUOMAN000

QUOMAN000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

I have tried a system restore but when it completes, it states that I cannot restore back to the date asked for! I have managed to create a recovery console but it then asks which part of windows I want to look at - don't know. Tried typing in d for the hard drive, but it doesn't like that - thanks for any help out there.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

When you choose a date to restore to it has to be a highlighted date, the darker color date.

One of the options in the advanced boot options is the Last Known Good Configuration, try this.

#12 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:30 PM

You need to boot to the windows xp installation disc and go into your recovery console and do a CHKDSK C: /p /r

I have solved this problem many times doing the same thing

If you need more info on how to do this let me know, but this should be your next step.

#13 darthaus

darthaus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:21 PM

To do a hard drive test you need a bootable disk. Samsung has a good tool. Best thing to use would be a tool made by the manufacturer of your hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users