Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replace Internal (OEM) Drive XP Home with USB Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:35 AM

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, mods please move topic if not.

I attempted to create a slipstreamed XP Home SP3 CD for the purpose of formatting and re-installing XP Home, my first ever attempt at doing so. To make a long & GORY story short, I used the tool nLite to create a "slimmed-down" XP reinstall CD--well, I must've "slimmed it down" a bit too much, or the Service Pack 3 download was corrupt, or both, or....???? because when I re-installed the OS there were NUMEROUS issues--no WMI, System Restore would not work correctly, Add/Remove Windows components was not functioning properly...and the list goes on. I had made a second "clean" slipstreamed SP3 CD, all components, no Hotfixes or Win updates, and attempted to use this CD to correct any issues with sfc scannow--no good, apparently even that CD contained corrupt and or missing files. I then attempted to create a 3rd CD by downloading a fresh XP Service Pack 3 and slipstream my base Dell OEM (SP2) re-installation CD when----wait for it---my internal CD RW crapped out on me. :huh:

I purchased a standalone CD\DVD Rewriter from BestBuy, (I know, i could've gotten it cheaper online) installed it, burned a fresh slipstreamed SP3 CD and attempted to re-install with this CD. My Bios includes the option to boot from a USB storage device, but when I attempted to do so, there was no "press any key..." prompt on reboot and the system just booted from the HDD. :thumbsup: I changed the original "D" drive to "Z", changed the "E" (USB CD\DVD Drive) to "D", and attempted again...no dice. A third attempt, this time as a repair installation was successful, although I needed to keep browsing for needed files (about 2 dozen or so) to the new CD, as I did not label it correctly. What resulted was a clean XP SP3 reinstall, without formatting. Since I had formatted on my previous (Nlite method) install, this was ok as far as I was concerned, I didn't need to re-re-re-install all my progs, docs, drivers...etc. B) But I did have to manually install about 70 Hotfixes/Updates thru WinDOZE update. :huh: The only issues I've noticed after a day or so poking around were these: Secunia PSI kept getting blocked by M$'s DEP, and system beeps on startup (one short followed by 2 long) SFC scannow fixed the PSI problem, I'm still trying to hunt down the cause of the beeps (CD/DVD drive I'm guessing--UN-educacted guess in my case). After some tweaks n-stuff, I am back to where I was originally with about 3gigs added space on my HDD.

Which leads me to this question: Do I need to repair\replace\disable\uninstall driver... the internal CD RW\DVD R drive in order to boot from CD "normally" and\ or have I not setup my USB drive correctly. or....????

Thank you in advance for the anticipated informational reply\replies!

Edit to add specs:

OS: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Dell Inc. Inspiron 2200
Processor: 1.40 gigahertz Intel Celeron M
Main Circuit Board: Dell Inc. 0U6962 133 mhz
BIOS: Dell Inc. A06 09/18/2005
ST9408114A [Hard drive] (40.01 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 3LE19RR7, SMART Status: Healthy
1272 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'System Board Memory' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM_B' has 1024 MB

Internal Drive: HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD GCC4244 [Optical drive]
External Drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GE24LU20 USB Device [Optical drive]

Edit to add: Upon further googling, it looks like I have 2 main options
1) Repair/replace internal optical drive
2) Create a bootable USB Flash drive.

Edited by Union_Thug, 17 September 2010 - 11:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:13 AM

Just to make sure I understand this. You did make the external hdd the first device in the boot order?

With some USB devices there won't be a key-press prompt. If this is the case the external drive should boot immediately. If there is a problem it will go down to the next boot option.

There's a pretty good article on this, you can read it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:08 AM

Thank you for the reply and link. Just to clarify, you wrote: Just to make sure I understand this. You did make the external hdd the first device in the boot order? (emph mine)

No, I did not. I do not have an external HDD . I attempted to boot from an external DVDRAM device. Here's some added info. The BIOS on this laptop gives these options as bootable.

Internal HDD
CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
USB Storage Device
Diskette Drive
Cardbus NIC
Onboard NIC

I moved the USB Storage Device to the first option, CD/DVD Drive (which is DISABLED by me in Device Manager) second and HDD third--Re-booted...no joy. OS loaded from HDD.

The link you provided supplied this hint, which I tried (to no avail):

Switch to another USB port. The BIOS on some motherboards only check the first few USB ports. Switch to another USB port and restart your computer.

I have 3 available USB ports. I disconnected the printer & mouse and left the external DVD as the only attached USB device, even physically moved the USB connection 1 at a time to all three ports...still no joy.

I went back into the BIOS and disabled all options EXCEPT the USB Storage Device, rebooted and received this message:

No bootable devices--Strike F1 to retry, F2 for setup utility.

Looks like I'll need to replace the internal CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive, or do something like THIS. (Instructions are for Vista)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:14 AM

I misread that you were trying to boot from an optical drive. I don't know how you're going to do that one.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:35 AM

I misread that you were trying to boot from an optical drive. I don't know how you're going to do that one.

It doesn't appear to be possible, from what I've read on "the Google" The good news is that my system is running quite nicely after the repair installation, all components are operational----EXCEPT the internal CD/DVD ROM drive.

Thanks again for your replies, they are much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Joe AKA "Thug"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users