Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP activation trouble

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 j54ams

j54ams

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

I didn't see anything in previous posts that would address my problem. So, here goes. I installed a new hard drive (actually a used one wiped clean) on my brother's HP Pavilion 533w, 2002 model computer. Being that old, it did not come with the recovery disc nor have the option to make them as current models do. Nor are they available from HP and have not been for several years as I've checked before. So, in order to get XP Home installed, I slipstreamed SP3 into a Dell XP Home disc and used that. Thinking it was OK and perfectly legal since I had a legal OEM license key. I was wrong, as I was not to politely told when I called Microsoft to activate it, since it gave me a incorrect key message when I tried to activate online. I was told I would have to buy a new Key. No one in their right mind would do that for an eight year old computer! Due to a massive heart attack and job loss they can't afford to spend anything for something that they should not have to. If, I put the old hard drive back in, is there any possible way to burn the recovery partition? Is there any other options? Any help you can give me for them would be GREATLY appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

I'm not sure why there are any questions here regarding Windows Activation...it's all pretty clear as explained at the Microsoft website and the terms of sale/EULAs which govern the sale of the system to buyers.

But...I'll tell you how I see the questions you have raised here.

An HP and a Dell system...are each considered to be OEM systems, issued/sold with corresponding licenses that are also considered as being "OEM". There, the resemblance ends...each is s a totally different organization, each doing things in the manner decided by the heads of the respective manufacturer.

Microsoft has issued various pronouncements to the world...stating that OEM licenses of any of their operating systems...are tied to the system for which said license was assigned/issued. That means simply that such license is not intended to be transferred or used on a system other than the one it was originally attached to.

Quite simply...disks made by either...are not intended to be used on systems made by a different manufacturer.

Having a valid license to install XP (any version) on a system...does not mean that any CD or set of CDs will do. In general, a Microsoft Genuine XP CD (which is not the same thing as issued by any OEM system manufacturer) can be used, along with the valid license key, to install XP on some (if not all) of these OEM systems. I haven't experience with all of them, but I do know that this works for some. Of course, the CD must match with the license issued for that version. If the license is for XP Home, then the CD must be for XP Home...and so on for all the other variations of the O/S.

Recovery/restore disks...are issued by the system manufacturers. Such are not equivalent to MS Genuine XP CDs and should not be regarded as such by any user with an OEM system...who wants to do repairs or installs where the directions call for a MS Genuine XP CD. Since these recovery/restore disks...are issued by the system manufacturers...they dictate how, when, where, etc. they are to be used. Microsoft does not...no one but the manufacturer of the system...decides such.

Any questions about these recovery/restore disks (or partitions...or both) should be addressed to manufacturer of the system. From what I've seen, most of them have the details for such posted at their respective websites.

You have an HP system...you need to contact HP about obtaining replacement disks (which you stated that you have done) or review the documentation available on your system (at the HP website or in your owner's manual)...to ascertain the answers to questions about such.

The possibility exists that you could use your HP license to attempt repair or reinstallation of Windows....if you borrow/acquire/have someone burn you a copy of the corresponding MS Genuine XP CD...but I cannot say for certain that will work with all OEM systems.

Louis

#3 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

Thanks, Louis. Guess we're out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users