Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen during startup ...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ulrickson

ulrickson

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:37 AM

Blue screen during startup ... A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down ... DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ... PRISMUSB.SYS

My wife's Dell Dimension 2400 desktop goes to a blue screen, either during the BIOS load or after generating the Windows XP desktop. If we shut it down and start again, in one to three tries, it will eventually boot up all the way and perform normally.

The blue screen references a variable, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. It also references the driver file PRISMUSB.SYS, which is the driver to the D-Link USB wireless device installed on the computer. Contrary to the blue screen messaging, we can't think of anything that has been installed recently on the computer.

After reading various posts on bleepingcomputer, I downloaded blue screen viewer. Here's the output:

==================================================
Dump File : Mini082610-02.dmp
Crash Time : 8/26/2010 6:51:36 AM
Bug Check String : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x100000d1
Parameter 1 : 0x2cacb13c
Parameter 2 : 0x00000002
Parameter 3 : 0x00000001
Parameter 4 : 0xb0ceace9
Caused By Driver : PRISMUSB.sys
Caused By Address : PRISMUSB.sys+cce9
File Description : PRISM Wireless NDIS 5.1 USB Driver
Product Name : PRISM Wireless LAN
Company : Intersil Americas Inc.
File Version : 3.00.04
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini082610-02.dmp
Processors Count : 1
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
==================================================

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:01 AM

Simple test.

Uninstall the device referenced, using Device Manager.

Reboot.

Do you still get the error? Did the device automatically reinstall?

Louis

#3 darthaus

darthaus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

If that doesn't work it may be worth trying a memory test. I may be wrong but I believe the 2400 have onboard diagnostics. If you press F12 during the POST screen there may be an option for diagnostics.

Or try Memtest

#4 ulrickson

ulrickson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:15 PM

Hi, guys. I tried the first suggestion - uninstalling the device (D-Link wireless adaptor) and reinstalling it - and it worked! The operating system didn't automatically reinstall it, so I located the same driver on the D-Link website and installed it. We've shut down and restarted her computer several times yesterday and today, with no repetition of the crash.

Thanks so much.

I'm new to this website and am finding a wealth of information that I haven't seen elsewhere on the net. Please keep up the good work.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:42 AM

Glad you were able to resolve it...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 ulrickson

ulrickson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:03 PM

Well, I jumped the gun with my positive report. Two days and several restarts later, the blue screen returned.

So, I reinstalled the driver, and that didn't work. I didn't try using memtest, because it seems to require more skills than I have.

I'm open to further suggestions.

BLU

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:37 PM

Memtest is quite easy to use it is painless infact. All you gotta do is down it from here: http://www.memtest.org and use your CD Burning program to burn the ISO Image to a CD leave the CD in and set your BIOS to boot from the CD and voila let it run a couple times.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:31 AM

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

Icrontic Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

Louis

#9 ulrickson

ulrickson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

Thanks, Luis, so much for providing the additional resources for performing the memory test. The good/bad news is that memtest86 didn't find any RAM errors.

Going back to the blue screen reference to prismusb.sys, I was able to obtain a complete installation CD for the device associated with that driver. It's the wireless adaptor for the computer. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the device and driver. The blue screen is still occurring.

An important observation: The blue screen isn't happening just after Windows boots up, as before, but I can get it to happen automatically by launching Skype. That said, I uninstalled and reinstalled Skype. The blue screen occurred as soon as Skype opens a sign-in window. This is still the "first" sign-in window following the reinstallation, the one that asks the user to create a new password. The bad news is that my wife uses Skype on this computer for her long-distance music lessons. The next one will occur on Friday morning. Worse comes to worst, I'll set her up to use my laptop for her lessons until we get this problem fixed.

Anyway, any suggestions as to what I might try next?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:57 PM

I would check the Skype website...for both updated drivers/firmware and any software updates that might been put forth. I would also check for a forum and FAQ on known issues encountered by users.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users