Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't rid netbook of redirect

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 mizbizee

mizbizee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:46 AM

About 2 wks ago I contracted the security tools virus on my netbook. I had to use my desktop to research the removal because I couldn't access anything with the netbook. I tried avast, MBAM, I ended up using combo fix (sorry I didn't see all the warnings beforehand). Anyway, after using CF I still get redirected with most of my internet searches. Also a minimized IE window opens constantly, often opening to something called wordslife.php, or sometimes to an invalid search. I have no valuable programs saved on this computer, so I decided to reformat. I did the reformat then combofix, then reformat then CF 3 times total & I still have the same problem. So I tried a large arsenal of malware & virus removal programs, but the redirect is still there and none of the removal programs show an infection. I don't know what to do now. I can try to reformat again but I presume the results will still be the same. Is there anything else that could be causing this? The netbook is an Acer Aspire one using XP, and IE. I access the internet with a wireless router that is shared with my dell desktop. My desktop is also infected with redirect! I haven't spent much time trying to clean that yet, I figure one headache at a time, but am wondering if the 2 problems could be connected somehow? I'd appreciate if anyone could help me out with this. TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:48 AM

Most likely resetting your router will fix the problem. Your router should have a button on the backside to reset it. Depending on your router, you may have to contact your ISP for additional information.

Please let me know if that took care of the problem.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 mizbizee

mizbizee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:58 AM

OK, I reset the router but am still being redirected. It worked for the first 4 searches then back to garbage. I also got a notice about incompatible IP address when I reset. I'm currently using Emsisoft and it's blocking malware at every website I visit. When I restored my ACER I used Alt F10, is there a better method than this? I don't think this thing came with a disk.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,248 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:09 AM

How did you reset your router?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 mizbizee

mizbizee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

I pressed the tiny reset button on the back of it with the tip of an ink pen. I'm going to try accessing the internet w/out the router by plugging directly into the internet cable. I'll let you know if that does anything so we can rule out the router or not..

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,248 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:02 PM

Depending on your router type you may need to push that button for about 10 seconds. Also make sure you turn the router off before attempting the reset.

You can indeed try to bypass the router to see if that makes a difference.

regards, Elise

#7 mizbizee

mizbizee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

I bypassed the router and it worked, no more redirects. Then I held the reset button longer like you said and that worked as well. I would like to reformat again, but is the Alt F10 method good enough to wipe out any possible remnants or do I need to load from a disk somehow? I need this computer as safe as possible.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,248 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:07 AM

Hi, this means that there was no malware on your machine and there is really no need to reformat. In case you still want to reformat, see below.

If you're not sure how to reformat or need help with reformatting, please review:These links include step-by-step instructions with screenshots:Vista users can refer to these instructions:Don't forget you will have to go to Microsoft Update and apply all Windows security patches after reformatting.

Note: If you're using an IBM, Sony, HP, Compaq or Dell machine, you may not have an original XP CD Disk. By policy Microsoft no longer allows OEM manufactures to include the original Windows XP CD-ROM on computers sold with Windows preinstalled. Instead, most computers manufactured and sold by OEM vendors come with a vendor-specific Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition for performing a clean "factory restore" that will reformat your hard drive, remove all data and restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it. See Technology Advisory Recovery Media. If the recovery partition has become infected, you will need to contact the manufacturer, explain what happened and ask them to send full recovery disks to use instead..

If you need additional assistance with reformatting or partitioning, you can start a new topic in the Operating Systems Subforums forum.

regards, Elise

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,248 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:50 AM

Hello, are you still there?

regards, Elise

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,248 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:20 AM

Due to lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

If you are the original topic starter and you need this topic reopened, please send me a PM.

Everyone else, please start a new topic.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users