Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network/Router Name and Password?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:52 PM

Hello,

So, I found out today that when a Geek Squad Agent set up my computer for me he never gave me a network or router name and password. He left a page in my computer with all the important info., but he left both of those two places blank! I never needed to know this information until this week when I got my first iPhone and haven't been able to get the Wi- Fii working because it keeps asking for a password. Geek Squad doesn't have this info. anymore either and want to charge me to come redo whatever they need to do to get me this info. I've spent almost 3 hours now with At&T and Apple and Geek Squad tech support people and have received different answers from ALL of them about what the password is and where to find it!!! I decided to go with the last one's direction, but that leaves me with no info. due to Geek Squad.

Is there any other way that you know of for me to get this information so I can get wi fii in my phone?

Thanks so much!
Michele

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:58 PM

What kind of router do you have? You can get the default username and password from the documentation that you can get from the manufacturer of your router website.

#3 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:21 AM

I have a 2wire router from AT&T. One of the AT&T people said that the password was the ten digit code on the botton of the router. When my iPhone's Wi-Fi page comes up, it says to select a Wi-Fi Network, and there is a list of names under it. I live in an apartment so I think that's why there are so many different names. Regardless, I don't know which of those Network names is mine. Under that screen was another screen that asked for my phone number and a password. I put in my 10 digit cell number and the 10 digit router number as the password like AT&T said to do, but I kept getting an error message that said to enter a 10 digit phone number. There IS a 10 digit phone number already typed in just like their example. So, I'm stuck.

Thanks,
Michele

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:31 AM

Call up ATT and ask them what to do I have not setup any phone to use a wireless router.

#5 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:39 AM

I'm actually not trying to set up my phone to use a wireless router. I have the Gateway desktop, not a wireless. As for the phone, I just want the Wi-Fi to work which is the whole reason to have the iPhone. I already talked to AT&T for over two hours, and they finally sent me to Apple. It was Apple that said to get the network name and password from Geek Squad since they never gave it to me when they set up my computer. Geek Squad said the only way to get that info. now is to charge me AGAIN to REset up my computer since they failed to document that info, the first time. That's why I started off by asking if there was any other way to get that info.?

I'm actually shocked at how incredibly difficult it's been just to get my iPhone to work!! I'm not the only one who has an iPhone so I'm really confused why nobody has been able to help me. Anyway, thanks for trying.

Michee

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:44 AM

So you want to use your phone as a wireless device to connect your computer to the internet?

I am a bit confused with your last post.

#7 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:36 AM

No, I'm not trying to use my phone as a wireless device to connect my computer to the internet. I wouldn't need to do that as my computer is able to access the internet just fine. I'm trying to be as clear as possible, but it's kind of difficult because it's confusing to me since I was given so many different answers. Let me try again.

First, think of them as two different things...cell phone and computer. I'm going to talk about the cell phone first.

I got an iPhone, and I wanted to download an app, go online to Facebook, check email, etc. I thought that this was something that I would be able to do right when I walked out of the store. Until today, I didn't know that there were TWO ways to use the iPhone to get online. AT&T has their own network (not sure if it's called a network or not), and it's called AT&T 3G, and the icon to click for that shows up as soon as I turn on the phone. The problem with using it is that it uses up my data plan. All of this I just learned today from the 4th person this week trying to help me.

The other way to acces the internet is where I'm having trouble. The other way to use the internet is called Wi-Fi or using Wi-Fi, not sure which one. The Wi-Fi way is BETTER because it's faster and, more importantly, it's free, as in it's not using any of my data plan up that I'm paying for.

Now, here's where the confusing part comes in. When I would try to access Wi-Fi on my iPhone, it would have a screen pop up with several network names on it, and they each have a lock icon next to it. These belong to other people in my area, most likely in my apartment complex, and they have their password for it, and that's how they use Wi-Fi. This next part is where my computer comes into play, but it comes into play in different ways depending on which tech. support person was helping me, but I don't know which one is correct. None of the tech. support people at AT&T (I talked to three different departments there.) or Apple have been able to solve the problem. The last person I spoke to was at Apple, and what she told me to do is what I was trying, very unsuccessfully, to explain before and get help with. Here goes...

The Apple tech. support person said that I'm supposed to know what my network name and network password are. After much rudeness on her part, it came to light that when my Gateway Quadcore Desktop Computer and Monitor, using Windows Vista, were set up by the Best Buy Geek Squad Agent that came to my apartment, he set up the network name and the network password. The agents then have a form that they have to fill out for the customer, and two of the most important parts they are supposed to fill out are the network name and the network password. My agent left these boxes blank. Because my computer is not a laptop and I never had any other electronics that required me to know that information, I didn't know that this information was missing.

The Apple tech. support person told me to contact Geek Squad to get the missing information, which I did, but they only keep their records for one year. The only solution they could offer me was to send out another agent, have them REset up my computer, give it a new network name and a new network password, and, here's the kicker, charge me for it......even though they admitted it was their error.

Whew!! So, after all of that, I ended up here asking if there were any other way that anyone else knew about for me to find out this information.

I don't know how else to explain all of this, and I really am sorry that the post was so long, but I wanted to be as clear as possible so as not to waste your time. I appreciate you taking your time to try and help me resolve this.

Thanks Again,
Michele

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:41 AM

So you are trying to use your internet connection that you have for your apartment on your iPhone.

Is your 2Wire router capable of wireless connectivity does it have an Antenna on it?

#9 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:52 AM

Yes! :huh: That is how they all said that the Wi-Fi works. I guess if I didn't have a computer I wouldn't have been able to use my iPhone??? I don't know.

AT&T said that my 2Wire router was capable of wireless connectivity. In fact, I used to have a laptop with wireless built into it, and AT&T is who my service was with. The router does not have an antenna on it, but it does have the word "wireless" on the front of it. AT&T told me today that I needed to have a wireless USB "thing" to plug into my computer to make the wireless available.

:huh: Michele

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:55 AM

Try this: http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=60

#11 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:18 AM

:) B) :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: B)

#12 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:20 AM

THANK YOU SO, SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! You DID it!!!!! I'm SO incredibly grateful!!!!!!! I KNEW i could count on my friends at bleeping computer!!! I didn't even have to reset anything. All I had to do was click on one thing, and it told me my network name!!!!!! You're the best!!!!!!!! Thanks again!!!

Grateful Hugs,
Michele

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:21 AM

You are welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic