Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder locking/encryption Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Becky99

Becky99

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:33 PM

Hi everyone -- I'm looking for software that I can use to protect certain files while I'm working on my PC. I have a suspicion I've either been hacked/someone is trying to hack me, so I'd like to be able to lock down certain folders/files so they cannot be altered (preferably system folders as well like User Accts, Credential manager, etc) while I'm working on the computer (for example to make it difficult if someone were to hack into another user account of mine while I'm logged on).

I've looked at TrueCrypt but that looks like you can only encyrpt the entire system disk or non-system folders/files (not individual system folders while you are logged on unless you are allowed to move the folder location into the volume). Is there anything I could use to lock down folders/system folders to just basically deny access to anyone but me with strong password protection (extra features like hiding them as well would be awesome)? Thanks! :thumbsup: PS I'm using Win 7 64x if that helps.

Edited by Becky99, 16 September 2010 - 10:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 darthaus

darthaus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

The NTFS File system has the ability to set permissions to certain folders with the option to hide them as well.
As long as the account that is hacked isnt a system administrator setting the permissions should block the access. Although if this person knows how to hack your account there is a strong chance they can get around those types of retstrictions...

#3 Becky99

Becky99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

The NTFS File system has the ability to set permissions to certain folders with the option to hide them as well.
As long as the account that is hacked isnt a system administrator setting the permissions should block the access. Although if this person knows how to hack your account there is a strong chance they can get around those types of retstrictions...

Thanks, that's why I was thinking along the lines of select system file protection in the form of encryption -- they may know how to hack me, but I very much doubt they decrypt a random key -- if the FBI couldn't decrypt a TrueCrypt file after a year of trying I doubt a hacker could. Trouble is what to do when the files are in use! I need to think through this a bit more...which is also why I'm asking for suggestions! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users