Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible new build/rebuild

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

Hi all! I've been thinking [uhhhh-oh....]

Too many computer problems & crashes lately. Lost one machine at least temporarily, the other replacement I'm posting with has been fighting me, seen in several threads in these forums. Both are '99-'00 vintage Dell, the whacked one a Dell Optiplex GX110, this machine's a Dell Dimension XPS R400. Considering options.

Went scrounging in the 'parts pile', found a good Atrend ATC-6240 board, a forgotten gift from a friend. This was his old gaming computer board and was in good condition when removed. Came with P3 500Mhz & fan, also ATI Rage 128 Graphics card, and Diamond Speedstar VGA video card. My suffering Optiplex has a good P3 847Mhz.

The Atrend ATC-6240 board has 4 SDRAM slots, rated for 1Gb memory. There's 384Mb on Optiplex [1 @ 256, 1 @ 128] and 192Mb [1 @ 128, 1 @ 64] on Dimension, so total of 512 ready to fill the 4 slots. No problem buying enough other memory for 1GB either or even all new if suggested.

Dell Dimension has 12Gb Matsu HDD, plus there's the 80 Gb HDD from Optiplex [2005 Hitachi 728080-Plat20 ATA/IDE]. Also have a fairly new, hardly used '05 Memorex 523252AJ CD-RW, plus CD-ROM's and floppy drives.

So, how about I install Win XP-Pro on the Dimension 12Gb HDD, temporarily use it for Master on this rebuild, using Atrend board - Rage graphics - Diamond sound card and a pile of SDRAM. Then use 12Gb master to pull all files off the 80GB Optiplex drive in Slave position, format that one & reinstall XP Pro again. Leave it in that configuration with 12GB as Master, transfer archived files back & use the 80GB for all future storage tasks.

Problem: I know absolutely nothing about getting the Atrend board running with this setup....

All I need is a solid computer to access DIAL-UP Internet, Outlook Express, and maybe later use a CAD Graphics program [not currently installed or used]: AutoCad LT Release 1, with LT Release 2 Upgrade, both designed for Win 3.1 and about 4Mb's of memory.

What do ya think, boys & girls: can I build a decent computer out of the good old parts pile? Unless it worked really well this build would be for temporary use, a few months, saving up some jing for the real thing....

Thanks for any opinion, pro or con!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

You're working with some pretty dated components.
That isn't an issue other then being able to run some of the latest versions of some software/apps.
[I have a old 900MHz, 512MB, Emachine that still works well, not this unit though. :thumbsup: ]

You need to assemble the components in the case as a build.
You then need to install XP on the HD normally.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for the reply & info. I don't yet know if it's my best option, but wanted ideas if it is any real option at all. Thanks!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users