Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Will Not Support IE 9

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:12 PM

http://www.pcworld.com/article/205578/micr...tml?tk=rss_news
Microsoft IE9: Windows XP Stymies Widespread Adoption

............Microsoft may have a tough time building significant market share for its new Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) browser because eligible users are in the minority.

Several analysts agreed that Microsoft has its work cut out for it, at least in the short term, because IE9 won't run on Windows XP, the aged-but-still-dominant operating system.

Microsoft omitted the still-popular XP from the supported OS list because, among other things, IE 9 speeds up page rendering and composition by tapping the graphics processor in newer PCs. Windows XP lacks support for the Direct2D API, which IE9 uses to accelerate content rendering.

The decision means that only a subset of machines will be able to run IE9, either in its preview or final form, until those systems and Windows XP are replaced by new hardware and Windows 7 .....................

Want to try out the BETA version of IE 9? See info in link below. ( BETA Version---Not Ready For Final Release)
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presski...ternetexplorer/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 face pirate

face pirate

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

Ooh looks worth a bit of tinkering with :thumbsup:
thanks for that

People on XP should stick with Firefox or Chrome over IE anyway. not biased, just going by the facts
Posted Image

Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:34 PM

I am currently beta testing IE 9 on my windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit computer.

Takes a bit getting used to since the Favorites menu is on the right hand side of the browser.

Not sure if I like the transparent browser header though, and the web site name bar is in a more confined space, not like IE 8 where you can see the whole web site title.

Also Adobe Flash is not supported in IE 9, so some animated images do not work in IE 9 as of yet. :thumbsup:

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 September 2010 - 07:36 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

I am currently beta testing IE 9 on my windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit computer.

Takes a bit getting used to since the Favorites menu is on the right hand side of the browser.

Not sure if I like the transparent browser header though, and the web site name bar is in a more confined space, not like IE 8 where you can see the whole web site title.

Also Adobe Flash is not supported in IE 9, so some animated images do not work in IE 9 as of yet. :thumbsup:

Bruce.

More then flash. CSS from different sites(including AOL.com) doesn't operate properly. The few Java things i've tested worked OK, but the browser actually feels slower then IE8 which comes default on Windows 7.

Edited by NpaMA, 18 September 2010 - 03:26 PM.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:07 PM

I hate the new internet explorer browser. It is so slow for me, also as said it has issue with flash and anything else, this is the most incomplete beta I have ever seen. But its microsoft so... :thumbsup: I also dont like the way the address bar is. It is following the same template as chrome as in it is starting to look like chrome and I dont like that to much... Just my 0.02 cents on it. :flowers:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:02 AM

Interesting critique of IE9 in link below.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/206371/6_Th...tml?tk=rss_news

The aquariam test site mentioned in the article was neat.
I visited it with Firefox on Ubuntu and got results of 14 to 17 FPS with 20 fish. (1680x823)
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:03 PM

Microsoft may have a tough time building significant market share for its new Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) browser because eligible users are in the minority.

Not really. Most of the people using Windows XP are still using IE6 of all things. They have been eligible for IE7 and IE8 and didn't bother updating. This is just another move on Microsoft to help get people moving to Windows 7 - which isn't a problem because it's far superior to Windows XP anyway.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:56 PM

Surely, not IE user here, so my opinion may be little bit biased, but I think, the design is just horrible.
If you enable all default toolbars, it looks like this:

Posted Image

Short address bar mixed on one bar with tabs.
SnagIt bar, for no reason, taking a space from wall to wall.
Favorites bar mixed on one bar with command bar
One big mess.

It scored pretty well here: acid3.acidtests.org
95/100
My Firefox 4 beta 6 scored 97/100

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:26 PM

Surely, not IE user here, so my opinion may be little bit biased, but I think, the design is just horrible.
If you enable all default toolbars, it looks like this:

Posted Image

Short address bar mixed on one bar with tabs.
SnagIt bar, for no reason, taking a space from wall to wall.
Favorites bar mixed on one bar with command bar
One big mess.

It scored pretty well here: acid3.acidtests.org
95/100
My Firefox 4 beta 6 scored 97/100

I actually like the short address bar. Who needs one the length of the screen at 1920x1080 resolution?

Nobody else has a SnagIt bar so it's not a common thing. I think it's also more of an issue with the developer of SnagIt.

There's no need for the Favorites or "Command" bar. Both have been integrated into the Star and Gear icons respectively. It's actually VERY clean, much more so than Firefox. See below for how it looks by default.

Posted Image

#10 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

http://www.techweb.com/news/227600116/inte...rket-share.html
....Microsoft's share of the web browser market fell for the second consecutive month in September, despite 6 million downloads of Internet Explorer 9 beta.

All versions of Microsoft's IE accounted for 59.65% of the browsers used to access websites last month, compared to 60.4% in August, according to figures released Friday by Net Applications. In July, Microsoft had a 60.74% share.

Meanwhile, all other major browsers saw sequential increases in use in September. Mozilla Firefox ended the month at 22.96%, compared to 22.93% in August; Google Chrome 7.98% from 7.52%; Apple Safari 5.27% from 5.16% and Opera 2.39% from 2.37%..................

.............A recent review by InformationWeek found that IE 9 was shaping up to be the best version of the browser yet. However, the magazine also noted that very few of the new features were new to the market, and Microsoft was mostly catching up with Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera. .........

#11 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:52 PM

^^^^Negligible and unrelated to the topic of this thread. IE has been losing ground for YEARS since Firefox 1.0 came out. You can report next month that (once again) IE has lost more market share. Then you can report the same thing month after month thereafter. There is too much variety in the market now compared to when IE dominated the market - Netscape vs IE era.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users