Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 daazndrgon

daazndrgon

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

Hi,
I am having some trouble with my computer. I re sized my primary partition with Windows XP on it the other day using Easeus Partition Manager so I could try out Ubuntu. After resizing, my computer rebooted and it went into the screen where I could choose to boot in safe mode, ..., Restore to last known configuration, and Start normally. I chose to restore to the last known configuration if I remember correctly. It booted up into Windows and after the login screen, the new device manager popped up saying new volume found and whether or not I wanted to continue but I accidently closed it. Then I went ahead and named the partition that was created and began the install, but the install failed for some reason, I think it was because of a corrupted file. Then when i rebooted, my computer went into the screen where I could choose to boot in safe mode, ..., Restore to last known configuration, and Start normally again. I chose to restore to the last known configuration once again and decided to give up on the install and went to resize my partition back to normal size. But this time, after going into the screen with the safe mode options, none of the options would work and it would go into the blue screen saying Unmountable Boot Volume and windows has to shut down to prevent damage. It shows the windows logo for a second and instantly goes back to the blue screen. I tried rebooting numerous times but it never worked. I gets the error 0x000000ED (0x8238FE30, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) when trying to restore to the last known configuration.Can someone please help me?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

always dangerous doing what you tried to do ,i will assume you backed up all your important data before you started all this .
i would boot to the winxp cd ,go to recovery console and at the prompt ,type in FIXMBR , if that fails to fix you boot problem i would boot to the winxp cd ,and chose to reinstall window ,delete the partitions ,and here i would created the 2 partition ,one for winxp and one for ubuntu ,install winxp on the first one ,then after you get it all working install ubuntu on the other

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 daazndrgon

daazndrgon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

I do not have the winxp cd and unfortunately, I did not back up my files. Is there another way to fix the problem without reinstalling windows?

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

sorry to hear you don't have you own disk ,[live by the sword die by the sword .] if your computer has a floppy drive ,get the files here to created the xp set of boot floppy's to run the repair recovery .
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

if no floppy go here and get file to create boot cd
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 daazndrgon

daazndrgon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

Which one am I supposed to download? There's XP Home/Pro Original/SP1/SP2, XP Quick Boot Diskette, and NTFS listed under the Windows XP 6 Disk Setup Set. I do not have a floppy drive so I just burn it onto a cd and boot from it? Thanks.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,741 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:26 PM

If you have Windows CD...(if you don't have Windows CD, scroll down)

1. Insert your Windows XP CD into your CD and assure that your CD-ROM drive is capable of booting the CD.
2. Once you have booted from CD, do NOT select the option that states: Press F2 to initiate the Automated System Recovery (ASR) tool.
Youre going to proceed until you see the following screen, at which point you will press the R key to enter the recovery console:

Posted Image

3. After you have selected the appropriate option from step two, you will be prompted to select a valid Windows installation (typically number 1).
Select the installation number, and hit Enter.
If there is an administrator password for the administrator account, enter it and hit Enter (if asked for the password, and you don't know it, you're out of luck).
You will be greeted with this screen, which indicates a recovery console at the ready:

Posted Image

4. There are eight commands you must enter in sequence to repair your problem..
NOTE. Make sure, you press Enter after each command. Make sure, all commands are exact, including "spaces".
These commands are as follows:

CD..
ATTRIB -H C:\boot.ini
ATTRIB -S C:\boot.ini
ATTRIB -R C:\boot.ini
del boot.ini
BOOTCFG /Rebuild

Note about the above command.
BOOTCFG /REBUILD command which searches for pre-existing installations of Windows XP and rebuilds sundry essential components of the Windows operating system, recompiles the BOOT.INI file and corrects a litany of common Windows errors.
It is very important that you do one or both of the following two things:
A.) Every Windows XP owner must use /FASTDETECT as OS Load Option when the rebuild process is finalizing.
B.) If you are the owner of a CPU featuring Intels XD or AMDs NX buffer overflow protection, you must also use /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN as an OS Load Option.
For the Enter Load Identifier portion of this command, you should enter the name of the operating system you have installed.
If, for example, you are using Windows XP Home, you could type Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition for the identifier (it's not crucial, however what the name is, as long, as it's meaningful).
Here is your computer screen:

Posted Image

5. Following command verifies the integrity of the hard drive containing the Windows XP installation. While this step is not an essential function in our process, its still good to be sure that the drive is physically capable of running windows, in that it contains no bad sectors or other corruptions that might be the culprit:

CHKDSK /R

6. This last command writes a new boot sector to the hard drive and cleans up all the loose ends we created by rebuilding the BOOT.INI file and the system files. When the Windows Recovery Console asks you if you are Sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: ? just hit Y, then Enter to confirm your decision:

FIXBOOT

7. Its time to reboot your PC by typing
EXIT
and pressing Enter.

With any luck, your PC will boot successfully into Windows XP as if your various DLL, Hive, EXE and NTLDR errors never existed.

If you don't have Windows CD...
Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Then, follow instructions from Step #3 above.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#7 daazndrgon

daazndrgon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:02 PM

For the BOOTCFG /Rebuild step, it says it failed to successfully scan disk for Windows installation because a corrupted file could have prevented bootcfg from successfully scanning. It is still on the CHKDSK /R step right now.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,741 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

It looks like you have some system files missing.
Let's see what chkdsk will do, because your error message (Unmountable Boot Volume) may also mean hard drive problem.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#9 daazndrgon

daazndrgon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:33 PM

Thank You so much for your help. It can finally boot now but it shows the message "Cannot find boot.ini Booting from C:\windows".

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,741 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:37 PM

It can finally boot now but it shows the message "Cannot find boot.ini Booting from C:\windows".

Does it stop at that message?

My Website

#11 daazndrgon

daazndrgon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:38 PM

No, it continues to load after.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,741 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:40 PM

Good news :thumbsup:

Regarding your error, see here: http://techsalsa.com/solved-invalid-bootin...cwindows-error/

My Website

#13 daazndrgon

daazndrgon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:54 PM

Thanks again. The problem seems to be solved.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,741 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:56 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users