Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless NIC drivers not loading at startup

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Tominator

Tominator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:38 PM

First of all...Hello everyone! I've tried many different computer help websites with no luck, so I'm hoping this one will do it. I have a HP Pavillion ze4220 with Windows XP Pro and a Linksys WPC54G wireless NIC (PCMCIA). Everytime I power up the laptop, the wireless NIC is showing in device manager that the drivers are not installed (Code 28). When I eject the card and plug it back in, it loads the drivers and connects to my wireless network with no problem. I have to do this everytime I start/restart my computer. It worked normally in the past (starting up and connecting to network) when I had Windows XP Home installed which is how I received it from my brother. I did a full install of XP Pro and ever since... this problem. PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE! I can send you any further info or screen pics if needed. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 face pirate

face pirate

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

have you tried checking windows update to see if there is a driver update for the wireless card?
Posted Image

Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

#3 Tominator

Tominator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

have you tried checking windows update to see if there is a driver update for the wireless card?

Sorry, I didn't have the Email Notification box checked. Yes, I have. It doesn't seem to be the driver that is the problem though, because it works when ejected, then inserted again. I'm using the latest drivers from Linksys for the card but it seems to be the CardBus Controller that is the problem. If I could figure out how to insert a screen capture of device manager here, I would.

#4 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:02 AM

Hi when you say you did a full install of windows xp professional did you format and then install?

Also after you installed xp pro did you then re-install all the drivers for your hardware such as chipset, audio, graphics and cardbus controller drivers or are you just using the xp generic drivers?
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#5 Tominator

Tominator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:28 AM

Hi when you say you did a full install of windows xp professional did you format and then install?

Also after you installed xp pro did you then re-install all the drivers for your hardware such as chipset, audio, graphics and cardbus controller drivers or are you just using the xp generic drivers?

I did format first and then a full install. I'm just using the XP drivers. Hmmmm. Now you got me thinking. Please respond back Sidious. I have an HP ze4220. I did check their website before to see if there were any cardbus controller drivers. I'll look again though. Either way, please get back to me!!

#6 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

I did format first and then a full install. I'm just using the XP drivers. Hmmmm. Now you got me thinking. Please respond back Sidious. I have an HP ze4220. I did check their website before to see if there were any cardbus controller drivers. I'll look again though. Either way, please get back to me!!

Hi when you put the operating system on you then need to install all the drivers for the motherboard, audio, graphics etc usually there is a driver disk supplied with any new laptop see if your brother has it and install all the drivers.

If you do not have the driver disk the link below should help please confirm correct notebook identified:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...ct=242222#N2540
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#7 Tominator

Tominator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:45 AM

Hi when you put the operating system on you then need to install all the drivers for the motherboard, audio, graphics etc usually there is a driver disk supplied with any new laptop see if your brother has it and install all the drivers.

If you do not have the driver disk the link below should help please confirm correct notebook identified:

That is the correct site and I have visited it. I also have a disk that came with the computer. I just haven't installed anything from it as everything seemed to be OK in Device Manager. I'll take a peek at the disk content and install from it and the website and see if it helps. Thank you very much for responding and I'll let you know how it goes!

#8 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:58 AM

That is the correct site and I have visited it. I also have a disk that came with the computer. I just haven't installed anything from it as everything seemed to be OK in Device Manager. I'll take a peek at the disk content and install from it and the website and see if it helps. Thank you very much for responding and I'll let you know how it goes!

Hi no problem install all the drivers hope it works for you. :thumbsup:

Edited by Darth sidious, 30 September 2010 - 10:58 AM.

#9 Tominator

Tominator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

Hi no problem install all the drivers hope it works for you. :thumbsup:

I installed all the relevant network drivers from the website to no avail. : ( The disks I had were "QuickRestore, System Recovery" CD's. Not what I want to do. So, back to square one!

#10 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

Hi Tominator did you install all your dirvers not just network?

If you have has it sorted the cardbus controller out?

You can download the latest driver for your linksys wpc54g from below select the correct version tho

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WPC54G

#11 Tominator

Tominator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

Hi Tominator did you install all your dirvers not just network?

If you have has it sorted the cardbus controller out?

You can download the latest driver for your linksys wpc54g from below select the correct version tho

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WPC54G

I only installed the network drivers that pertained to wireless access and the Notebook Utilities for Windows XP as it mentioned something about wireless functions. All the others referred to devices/functions that are working properly so I didn't install them. I think it is the cardbus controller that is in question, not the PCMCIA card. I did install the latest drivers from the website you referred to several times in the past and recently, but cannot find the cardbus controller drivers anywhere. It is an "O2Micro OZ6912 Cardbus Controller". I've looked everywhere. If I can't find an answer, I'm stuck with having to reinsert the card everytime after boot or try installing XP Home from the disks though I need XP pro. It was working right when I received it from my brother as OEM. :thumbsup:

#12 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

Hi install all the drivers if you would please from the website first.

#13 Tominator

Tominator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

Will do! I'll make an image first then try that.

#14 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

No problem.

#15 Tominator

Tominator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:15 PM

No problem.

As I figured.... Installed every driver on that page with no luck and my computer settings are all messed up now with tray icons I don't want either. Thanks anyways for the suggestions. I'll have to try some other site I guess unless you have one last idea. I'm 99% sure that it's the cardbus driver that is needed which I can't find anywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users