Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access Windows Update or many Control Panel Options

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kebaby

Kebaby

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:46 PM

Windows Vista 6.0 SP 2
IE 8
Dell Inspiron 1525

For the last couple weeks, I haven't been able to access the Windows Update page, or many other control panel functions. If I click on Windows Update, Backup and Restore Center, or Security Center (among others), nothing at all happens. I've tried to go to the Windows Update webpage, and it looks like it will open, then immediately closes. If I go to the Microsoft Update page, it's completely blank. No error codes or anything, just blank. Also, on Facebook, I can't "like" anything, or comment on someone's status. Several of the games aren't working either.

Probably not coincidentally, at about the same time, I started getting a message at startup saying something (I don't remember the exact phrasing) about reverting back to the original theme due to a conflict with another program, and also one that says "Runtime Error - Program: C:\Program Files\Dell|Media Direct\PCMService.exe" stating that the application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

When this started, I was running AVG Free, not sure which version. When an AVG scan didn't pick anything up, I switched to Norton 360, which didn't find anything either, so I re-installed AVG Free 9.0. In addition to AVG and Norton, I've run Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes, Windows Defender (although I get an error when I try to update it). None of them have found anything. I did run a Hijackthis scan, but I have no idea what the results mean. I've tried to do a system restore from Safe Mode, but nothing happened.

I've been to the Malware Removal forum, and did several scans there, including ComboFix when asked, and came up empty. Their suggestion is that perhaps something in Vista has broken?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

http://pcsupport.about.com/b/2009/05/25/sf...he-easy-way.htm

worth a shot also try this

http://www.filehippo.com/download_autoruns...7e131b126c8faa/

ok here is a working link andthe second link is for 7zip you canget it here http://download.cnet.com/3001-2250_4-10045...00421fd44c78103

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder,or your desktop. sorryevery link i post for autoruns is killed by this sitei think
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

•Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).

•It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.

•Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.

•Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe

Edited by rockmilk, 16 September 2010 - 06:51 PM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

Can you update/access security based websites?

I would try creating another profile with admin rights and see if that fixes the issue.

#4 Kebaby

Kebaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:55 AM

Thanks so much for the replies.

Rockmilk, the only link that seemed effective was the Autoruns one - the others either wouldn't come up, or the scan results were blank. On Autoruns, there were 4 things that came up "File Not Found". One was Catchme, which is part of a scan that I did when checking for malware on the other forum. The others were "InInIp", "NwInkFlt" and "NwInkFwd". I'm hesitant to disable them, because when I Googled them, it said that they're part of the Windows Operating System, and shouldn't be disabled. What do you think?

Cryptodan, this is my husband's computer, and he's supposed to have admin rights, but I can't get in to update anything. I hadn't thought about creating a new profile. I'll try that, and let you guys know how it works out. Thanks!

#5 Kebaby

Kebaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:02 AM

"User Accounts" is apparently one of the Control Panel functions that I can't use. Is there another way to add another profile?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:36 PM

Did you try any of your System Restore points which Myrti indicated were intact?

Louis

#7 Kebaby

Kebaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:39 AM

I hadn't been able to do a System Restore, but for some reason tonight the stars and moon aligned, and it let me. The most recent date it would allow me to go back to was 8/11/10, so I went with that. Everything seems to be great, except that everything in my Documents folder is gone, despite assurances that the Documents folder would be left alone. Most of the documents were created before 8/11/10 (so I don't know why they would be deleted), and several of them are very important, and I didn't back them up, thinking that the folder wouldn't be affected - my fault. Any ideas on how I can get them back?

I just have to say - I'm so grateful for forums like this. I'm an idiot where computers are concerned, and you all have been so helpful.

#8 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:00 AM

OK you can try THIS

#9 Kebaby

Kebaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:21 AM

Thanks Rockmilk. I tried that, but no files were recovered. Any other ideas?

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:45 PM

Try removing AVG, and see if you can get to Windows Update?

#11 Kebaby

Kebaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:10 PM

I believe I can get there now. What should I do? I'm nervous...the deleted files relate to a lawsuit my husband is involved in, and I'm not sure what I'm doing. Important documents & a computer novice...probably not a great combination!

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:31 AM

Just to be sure...you actually employed the search function...for *.doc files...and you don't find anything relative to your former files?

Louis

#13 Kebaby

Kebaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:09 PM

Hi Louis,

I think that I searched correctly, but I am doing another scan now, just to be sure! The regular scan didn't find anything, so I'm doing a deep scan now, and I'll let you know. As always, thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users