Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0x000000F4 BSOD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fazalul

Fazalul

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:32 AM

Hi, I have a Dell 15R laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Recently, maybe after some updates (Not Sure), the system started behaving abnormally. Some of the programs lost their icons, some stopped working and so on. At first, i thought it was a problem with the software and tried reinstalling them but it was not working. AVI files could not be played in GOM Player or Windows Media Player. Autocad, after running, suddenly stops and error shows "Autocad 2010 stopped working", PDF Printer doesn't work at all and so on.

So, i thougth maybe the problem was with my file associations or registry files, so i tried RegCure and Advanced System Optimizer (ASO), both of which did not give me any results. As a last try, i tried ASO Registry Defrag). It run for about 10 secs and showed boot was required.

My main problems started from then. As the computer booted, BIOS screen was shown, Boot Screen was shown and suddenly BSOD pops up. I tried restarting many times but there was no use.As the BSOD Screen just pops up and goes, i'm not able get the correct code even though it is similar to this:

0x000000F4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA8005BB9060, Parameter 3, Parameter 4)

I tried booting in safe mode (all types) but same result (BSOD). I tried system restore (and memory debugging) (after pressing F8 from BIOS Screen) but the system shows System Protection not enabled for the drive. Can anyone please tell me if there is any way other than to format and reinstall? The system several times showed to make recovery disc but i was too stubborn i guess. So I'm left out *BLANK*.

PS : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330100/en-us does NOT help as it is a laptop. and i can't (in any way) reach the welcome screen or login to my user.

System Specs:

Dell Inspiron 15R

Core i5 64bit

4GB RAM, 1GB Grapic Card, 500GB SATA HDD,

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

Edited by Fazalul, 16 September 2010 - 11:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:53 PM

Your issue could be related to the use of so called registry tools like RegCure and ASO. You may have deleted something critical to the function of your lap top.

You may have to reinstall your os.

Here is some information relating to Registry Tools:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

XP Fixes Myth #1: Registry Cleaners

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:14 PM

Hi, if you have your Windows 7 DVD, you can try to do a startup repair (this tutorial is for Vista, but the startup repair for Vista and 7 is very similar).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users