Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cooling Fan issue

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 keba

keba

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:37 AM

Dell Inspiron E 1705 cooling fan is not spinning ordered new cooling fan from parts-people.com. Item was delievered put new fan inside unit attempted to power on the new fan is not spinning. Also their is no display on the screen not even a post. I just removed viruses and updated AVG on the unit then powered down to replace fan. Attempted to test new and old fan on another computer Dell Inspiron 1200 either fan doesn't spin. Inspiron probably didn't create enough amps to power up the larger fans but I would like some help on this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:23 AM

Hi Keba, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Are there any indications that the computer is starting up. LEDs come on?

Does the power button light up?

The current draw on that fan is very low, I would be surprised if this was your problem by itself.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 keba

keba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

Well having the computer opened attempting to connect the AC Adapter to power on the unit didn't work LED lights were flashing green but no display so I assembled the computer now computer will display image and I can boot to window's but the fan still isn't spinning.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

If you have a DC voltage meter you can check to be sure if the fan is getting power.

If you have already tried this fan on two different computer with negative results, I would be inclined to suspect that the fan never did work.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 keba

keba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:50 AM

No DC voltage reader installed Speed Fan went to configure no fan present this is the old fan inside the pc. I'm putting the new one in right now but I wanted to know do you possibly think it could be the port on the mobo or the thermostat any ideas?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

I was referring to a hand held voltage meter with which you can read directly from the header for the motherboard.

I seem to have missed something here. Have you tried the new fan yet? Have you been posting about the fan that was in there originally?

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

Hello thanks to dc3 (my extra pair of eyes) I have corrected my origional post.

Sorry IE 9 Beta is taking a bit to get used to.

So until I have something to offer that is related to your laptop, I will leave this like this for now.

Sorry about that.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 September 2010 - 12:52 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 keba

keba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:39 PM

It's the 3 pin connectors it's a dell laptop Inspiron E 1705 not a power supply fan. Cooling fan for the processor I replaced this with a new one ordered. It is not spinning, Im running dell diagnostic to see if it states that it is a bad fan. Im beginning to suspect that it may be the 3 pin port on the mobo. Any other suggestions?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:47 PM

Edited to remove unnecessary content.

Edited by dc3, 16 September 2010 - 12:57 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

It's the 3 pin connectors it's a dell laptop Inspiron E 1705 not a power supply fan. Cooling fan for the processor I replaced this with a new one ordered. It is not spinning, Im running dell diagnostic to see if it states that it is a bad fan. Im beginning to suspect that it may be the 3 pin port on the mobo. Any other suggestions?

This is why I was suggesting that you use a DC voltage meter to read the three pin header that the fan connects to. The three wires, a positive, negative, and sense which control the RPM of the fan. If you can read the output voltage at the three pin connector of the motherboard this will tell you very quickly whether your problem is the fan or power. The DC scale on a meter is polar sensitive, so be sure that you have the leads going to the correct terminal, ie + and -.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

I have a question for you about your cooling fan power wire.

How many wires does your cooling fan have, some Dell cooling fans come with four wires red, yellow, blue and black.

The motherboard should have a four pin connector in this type of setup, the white wire should be the one on pin number 1, sometimes marked by a little white triangle.

If you connector has 3 pins, and the fan has 3 wires, this type of setup is black which is ground, yellow or red may be 12 volts +, it depends on the maker of the fan whether they used a red or yellow wire, but in computers any wire that is yellow is commonly 12+ volts, red is 5+ volts. In case fans there are either one sensor wire and the other is shared with ground, some use 4 wires and the sensor has its own two wires. plus the 12+ volts and ground wire.

Most fan connectors and motherboard fan connectors are keyed, so that connector locks into place if plugged in properly.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

This web site may be of some assistance to you.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/category/4-dell-laptops/

This is page 4, if you click previous near the bottom of the page, you may find your laptop model here along with wiring diagrams and pinouts on the mainboard.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users