Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

free virus protection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tvincent

tvincent

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:26 AM

i need help finding something that will stop all the crap from infecting my computer. I have no money so if anyone know of a free downlload.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

Avira is a great free antivirus
So is Avast

#3 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

Alot of good information at these two links:

How did I get infected? With steps so it does not happen again!

Best Practices - Internet Safety

#4 darthaus

darthaus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

Avira is a great free antivirus
So is Avast

I agree with avast! arr! (inside joke lol)
Also AVG isnt too shabby.

#5 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

Antivirus alone is not enough now, try this for a complete free solution to the malware problem:

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/free-download.html
James

#6 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

For a free program that combines both anti-virus and anti-spyware active protection, you might want to dowload and install Microsoft Security Essentials.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#7 enemy of the state

enemy of the state

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:32 PM

for free anti-virus I recommend avast free 5.0. Its what i used before upgrading to the pro. the free version is just as good. the only thing missing from the free is firewall, which you can download several excellent free firewalls( i recommend and use pc tools firewall, ashampoo, online armour, and zone alarm are all excellent. stay away from outpost, its a headache), the anti spam blocker(which most emails already have), script shield, and process virtualization. out of all of those, only the sandbox(process virtualization) is worth paying for. But as long as I had the free version i never once got a virus or malware. They have an excellent web shield(better than aviras i think) that stops anything bad before it can connect or load. If you have an older single core computer, be sure you disable some options in the file system shield, like scan documents when opening and writing, or it will really slow down your system. The number and quality of the other shields are good enough(if you stick with the default settings) that you dont need the file system shield to scan every file everytime you open it or execute it. Avira is a good second choice, however I did get some malware once that avira did not catch, so i switched to avast. Avasts user interface is ten times better looking than aviras simple and ugly one. Another good second choice is AdAware free, as it contains not only anti virus engine, but protects you from malware and spyware as well. I know several IT guys who use only AdAware and spybot and no AV program and swear by it. as long as you are smart about where you surf. I would still recommend using Avast free. it cant hurt and can only help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users