Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Datalock – laptop data security

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jill8beans2

jill8beans2

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

I am thinking about getting Zonealarm’s DataLock data encryption software. Basically I think that for laptops, it is a good way to make sure that if it gets stolen or I lose it (the reality is more like forget it) that nobody can access my data. It seems to run in the back ground so that you don’t know it is actually running.

They say that it uses a pre-boot authentication in which users must provide the correct username and password before the operating system boot process will even begin. They also have a 24/7 password recovery service incase you forget your password.

A couple of questions:

1) Is this pre-boot authentication something that will help keep the data secure?
2) What kind of encryption is used?
3) How hard will DataLock make getting the data from my hard drive?
Looking for the other side of my brain, have you seen it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:26 PM

Hi,

I do not know anything about that program so I have no answer to your questions, just a suggestion.

You might have better luck getting an answer to those questions if you posted them on the ZoneAlarm forum.

#3 jill8beans2

jill8beans2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:09 PM

Thanx for the suggestion.

I will read their forum but I was looking for more un-biased suggestions.

So far it does look like it is good software and it's encryption is hard to hack, which is good.
Looking for the other side of my brain, have you seen it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users