Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

total weirdness, freezing

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 droii

droii

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:24 AM

hey everyone. im on w xp
theres some weird things going on. my computer has been freezing for a long time, when im browsing the net, playing games or just booting, usually it freezes at the first boot when desktop loads. i have nvidia geforce mx 440 video card.
when i play true combat elite i get graphics like this http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1882/crackl.jpg
ive checked most things i could, i disconnected hard drives one by one to see if its hard drive related, ive disconnected ram one by one, so it cant be corrupt ram. fresh windows install and i get a freeze upon first session.
now the weird thing is that it froze also with a new video card. so ill make a wild quess here, can the monitor be the problem? does the monitor send any signals to computer? because if im quickly enough and turn monitor on-off it unfreezes sometimes.

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2010 - 09:29 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:56 AM

The monitor only receives from the computer, so no, it shouldn't have any affect on the computer.

Have you opened the case to see if it needs blowing out, specifically the heat sink and fan assembly on the CPU?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 droii

droii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:04 AM

yes, they should be clean. turning monitor on-off is the only thing that unfreezes it sometimes, are you sure that monitor doesnt send? i think it sends some on-off signal to video card atleast.

Edited by droii, 16 September 2010 - 10:17 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:18 AM

To the best of my knowledge there isn't any communication back to the computer per say which would affect the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:27 AM

Whats your power supply wattage?
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 droii

droii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:39 AM

Hello I am going to point you to a web site that will help you diagnose your video artifacts and probable causes for this.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

If you compare some of the images on this page to your image you posted a link to, this will explain to you what the causes could be and how to possibly resolve this problem.

If you want my opinion, your image shows a possible video graphics processor failure.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 droii

droii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

thanx MrBruce1959, i tryed underclocking but it didnt work.

Edited by droii, 16 September 2010 - 04:28 PM.

#9 droii

droii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:30 PM

ok guys discard video card, i tryed it with other video card, i still get freezes and random restarts, and its a fresh windows install. my video card may still be fried according to weird graphics, but there is something else.
any suggestions?

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:04 PM

You have installed another video card and you are having problems with restarts and freezes.

It appears your having issues with any video card you install in your computer.

What confuses me is when you stated above that if you turn the monitor off, then on again, this cleared up the problem.

This does not have anything to do with the video card. at least not unless your monitor has a ground fault and is sending a stray voltage back to the video card.

The only thing I can think of if this were the case, is a case where a child places foreign objects inside the monitors cooling vents and this object is causing a short somewhere.

Other-wise your monitor would have no effect on your video card causing pixelization or artifacts.

Now for the computer situation.

If your problem is related to the video card, a computer crashing while windows is running is related to several possibilties.

Incorrect drivers.

Heat.

Lack of sufficent power supply support.

Faulty hardware, either video card or motherboard related.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 September 2010 - 06:05 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

Being a fresh install... did you install the drivers?

#12 droii

droii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

come on guys. ive been running these drivers and setup for years. its not incorrect drivers. what i think is that video card detects if its signal is being received or not and when i restart the monitor the video card resets something. ive also tryed other power suply, didnt help.
yeah, any video card, geforce mx 440 may be fried but it wouldnt freeze or restart the system, as wouldnt my other video card, which i think is working ok. i think maybe its processor itself? are there any processor checking utilityes? and i think it cant be related to processor overheating cause ive just cleaned the fan.

Edited by droii, 16 September 2010 - 07:10 PM.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

Well the heat issue would be related to your video card in my examples above.

Now there is an interaction between the monitor and the computer, for example, if you went to system information, it will list your monitors brand name and model number, so yes there is a two way communication going on between the monitor and the motherboard. But this hardware ID would not cause the computer to crash as far as any trouble-shooting flow charts have shown me.

If you install the proper driver, this driver makes the video card process at rate the software instructs it to process at.

If lets say the driver is buggy or corrupted, this can cause a video crash.

Buggy drivers or corrupted drivers can be caused by static being introduced into the data flow during an on-line driver download over the Internet.

I have downloaded drivers before that ended up being corrupted do to static that disrupts the packets received during the download.

Sometimes the zip file will be listed as corrupted by the un-zipping software and sometimes it does not detect the corruption, but it is still there never the less.

I had such an incident with an Nvidia driver I recently downloaded, this driver crashed my computer and caused a shut down while I was just browsing the web.

I found a copy of this same driver in a folder i had saved from the last time I installed my video drivers and it was the same version, this driver did not crash my computer.

Out of curiosity, I checked for the reason, the driver I had just downloaded from Nvidia had slight corruption from the Internet.

Sorry for my soap-box speech here, but sometimes I like to put a bit of technology in my posts to backup a possibility.

So you may want to re-download those drivers to make sure your copy did not suffer the same corruption.

Bruce.

#14 droii

droii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:55 PM

thanx for suggestion. but the crashes are not because of the video cards, because ive checked 2 different brand video cards so its very unprobable that 2 drivers were corrupted

Edited by droii, 16 September 2010 - 07:56 PM.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:35 PM

Perhaps we need to look a little closer at your computers BIOS setup utility for a solution.

I have not looked up how your BIOS settings are arranged, but I am curious what would happen if you were to look at some of the settings you have regarding video performance.

If you need a little bit more of a suggestion on what to look for and what settings could affect your video performance, please feel free to ask.

But I have seen BIOS screens which have choices to choose between PCI or AGP for the video card.

There are settings to which the voltage to the video card can be set.

Aperture size which is set on MHz.

There are several settings that have to be looked at in the BIOS that can affect the video card's performance.

What you really need to do is study your motherboards owners manual for the BIOS setup utility and what settings affect what or what each setting does.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users