Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just downloaded Hijack This and need some instructions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Huhp234

Huhp234

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:01 AM

Ran the program and it suggests I submit the file but doesn't say how to do so. I got a msg saying denied write access to hosts file...may be unable to fix, etc., and followed the instructions--which resulted in the following posting to notepad:

# Copyright 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bizarre. SAMPLE file? I'm the owner of the PC but am denied admin privileges many times. Win 7 sux. Anyhow--

then a window came up with a bunch of results, but no directions on how to submit them, or even a help button. It took nearly two hours to register here because my browser showed the site was down--though it managed to come up in another browser just fine. Anyhow, how do I submit files--and why doesn't the program come up with the dummy how-tos like every other piece of freeware on the web? I've never downloaded ANYTHING that didn't give some instructions! Is it junk freeware or this stupid PC (which hasn't worked right since I bought it, brand new)?

Appreciate the help. Many thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2010 - 01:12 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Announcements, Comments, Suggestions ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:27 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

To submit a malware log to the appropriate forum...please read/follow the following.

Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html, start with Step 6. After your DDS log is prepared, you can submit it and narrative description of situation to Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html.

Good luck :flowers:.

Louis

#3 Huhp234

Huhp234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:23 PM

Thanks Louis. Will do! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic