Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buy OEM or non-OEM replacement battery for Dell Inspiron 1526?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 batya7

batya7

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:53 AM

The son's laptop battery icon has the dreaded "85% available, plugged-in, not charging" message.

Computer is Dell Inspiron 1526, about 3 years old and battery is not under warranty anymore. Usually runs on AC anyhow, light use. Luckily the gifter bought extended warranty, so I spoke to "Raj" and was told that Dell will replace motherboard and AC adapter (and I don't have to pay), but I need to buy new battery...or we may not realize the full long-term benefit of this hardware repair. He said if I don't replace battery and continue to use this one after fix, it may somehow mess up the new hardware (?)(!) and cause it to malfunction again soon. That's the best I understood it.

OEM Dell battery is $135 for 6-cell. :flowers: OUCH!

Anybody have experience replacing laptop batteries with non-OEM ones? What are the risks?
  • Half the price :thumbsup:
  • Possibly could be same manufacturer as OEM battery, but equally likely is not same manufacturer :trumpet:
  • Same lifetime? :inlove:
  • Is it a roulette game; sometimes you get a good non-OEM, sometimes a lemon? :cool:
Thanks!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. "

(Clarke's third law) Arthur C. Clarke, English physicist & science fiction author (1917 - 2008), "Profiles of The Future", 1961

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:13 AM

Some time ago, I had an old Compaq laptop.

I did a search, using Google, for a replacement battery...worked fine.

If it had been something specific to the system, I may have considered buying an OEM replacement part. But...a battery is a battery, as long as the vendor specifies it as being compatible with a given laptop, IMO.

Dell does not manufacturer the batteries used in its laptops...no reason to purchase OEM.

Google, Dell Inspiron 1526 Battery.

Louis

#3 DickNervous

DickNervous

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:39 AM

If the laptop stays on the desk plugged in, you should take the battery out once it is charged. The battery will live longer. Of course if your power goes out, the laptop will go off, but that is why people use a UPS.

As for replacement batteries, you can get them anywhere, just make sure it is a reputable vendor. I purchase one about 2.5yrs ago for my Dell off eBay and it worked for about an hour. I then purchased one that the brand is "Probatts" and have had it for over 2 years and it works great. I don't recall where I purchased it, but a quick Google of probatts turns up several vendors.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

One thing to look at when buying a replacement battery is the Amp hour rating. In laptop batteries this is rated in milliAmp hour (mAh).

The larger the mAh rating, the longer the battery will hold its charge.

A side note about lithium-ion batteries. For the most part these batteries like frequent small charges, but about every thirty charges it is good for the battery to be depleted to almost a flat state before fully charging. This is important to the longevity of the battery, and will decrease the possibility a "digital memory level". The battery doesn't recognize a memory level, the instrument reading it sees this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users