Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I recover deleted files?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 directby9

directby9

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:57 PM

Hello,

I accidentally deleted a folder that has many files in my portable drive. They are not in the recycle bin as I set it for immediately deletion. So I purchased a data recovery program online and it found the deleted files. When I restored and opened the files, they were corrupted. Is there a reliable program that can recover the files efficiently? The Internet has so many programs and I don't know which to pick.

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:00 AM

Has anything been copied onto the drive since the deletion? If it has, the locations where the deleted files were may have been overwritten by new files. If this has happened, recovered files will be corrupt, and no recovery software will be able to recover them correctly.

If nothing has been transferred to the drive since the folder was deleted, then it's a disappointment that paid software fails to recover them. Well-regarded recovery programs include Recuva, PcInspector and GetDataBack (paid). Other posters may have other recommendations from their experience.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:31 AM

I set it for immediately deletion. If was my computer I would not use this setting. I leave deleted items in the recycle bin for 4 or 5 days just to be safe.

#4 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:56 AM

One I've had good luck with is "Glary Undelete": http://www.glarysoft.com/products/utilities/glary-undelete/

#5 darthaus

darthaus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

I've been happy with PhotoRec or Testdisk which is linked to at the PhotoRec site

#6 Scott parisi

Scott parisi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:12 AM

U must try sum other software also sometimes there are situations where a particular software doesn't work but other can recover ur data intact. U can try searching reviews of software on google as well and try free version first using free version you can preview the recovered data.

Edited by Scott parisi, 30 December 2010 - 02:13 AM.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:57 PM

Recuva is an excellent, and easy to use, undelete tool. PhotoRec is even more powerful but is a lot more complex to use.

It should be noted, however, that recovering deleted files is not a guaranteed outcome with even the best undelete tools. There is always the possibility, which increases exponentially the more you use the disk after the files were originally deleted, that the files you want to recover are gone entirely or badly corrupted. If that's the case, then you're S.O.L.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users