Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The PreFetch phone call

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 grassy

grassy

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:15 PM

Hi guys, The other day my daughter came up to me as i was at the computer and said that there was a lady on the phone asking for the owner of the household computer. So i picked up the phone and found that i was talking to a lady with an Indian accent,which spoke good english. She then proceeded to tell me she was from "Microsoft" and that they have detected "Spyware" on my machine and is caused by a possible "Hacker". The first thing i thought about was my internet banking, so the blood preassure rose a little. :flowers: Anyway, she told me she was going to HELP ME get rid of all of this spyware , and i thought great, these people are actually doing something for me , just like "Customer Service". She asked me my name and i told her my first name only, then she asked me what i was using as a web browser and the make of the computer.Then she said to go out to the computer and hold down the windows tab and press "r", so i did, i told her that it displayed a command box and she told me to type "P then "R" then "E" and so on until it spelt "PREFETCH UNWANTED", so she definately made it sound complicated. She told me not to delete the files it displayed as i could remove something vauable to me for using other programs. Anyway, she told me that she will organize for a "Computer Tech at their end" to remove these files as the process is very dangerous and could have drastic reprocussions. She then asked me if i was using an "Anti Virus" and what kind was it. Was it paid for or a free version.I said it was a free version and she said "OH I SEE" as if i had done something wrong. Then she mentioned how the process works on getting rid of these "Dangerous Unwanted Files" and once she started to ask for a "1 Time Only Fee" it hit me that this was a SCAM in every sense of the word. :thumbsup: This lady had me running at sixes and sevens and i can tell you i was pissed off. These people are the SCUM of this earth and its people like these that have our world in the shape it is today. It just goes to show that the most endangered species on this planet is the honest man. Your thought please....www.youtube.com/user/id516265#p/u/5/Ab22fgjoC4E

Edited by grassy, 15 September 2010 - 10:32 PM.

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

Well, there's easier ways to run a phone scam, but it was only a matter of time. They don't have to hit too many easy touches to make it pay off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users