Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard beeps and misses a type

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:04 PM

I'm at the end of my rope here and hope someone here can help me.

Pretty frequently while I'm typing or playing a game, my computer emits a beep while using the keyboard and will NOT type that character it just beeped on. While playing a game, this most happens while moving around and when the beep occurs, I get stuck going in one direction and sometimes have to quit the game and load up a saved game.

So far, my keyboard has beeped twice while typing this post.

I have Filter Keys, Toggle Keys, and Sticky Keys all turned OFF, everything. If it's the keyboard itself, then no sweat, I'll go and buy a new one, but it can't be since all the characters type just fine and it's just something the computer doesn't like while I'm inputting, right?

I use Win 7 64-bit, but I've had this problem before in XP before upgrading.

Thanks in advance!
Venek
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:19 PM

when you say your keyboard beeps, I would take it the beep is coming from your motherboard indicating a keyboard error.

I do not know what type of keyboard you have, so it makes it tough to give a good solution.

What I mean by that is I do not know if your keyboard is the old 5 pin din type, PS2 type or USB.

Either way, I would at least try un-plugging the keyboard from its port and try plugging it back in, this might help, but is not guaranteed to resolve your problem.

If you try this and the problem is not resolved, it sounds like you may have a problem with your keyboard, try another one and see if this then resolves the problem.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 DickNervous

DickNervous

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

Ditto what MrBruce said, just want to add that if the keyboard is not USB you will probably have to reboot the computer to have it be recognized again once you unplug it and plug it back in.

It sounds like the computer/keyboard is having issue with multiple keys being pressed at the same time. Without knowing the make/model of the KB it is impossible to tell which it is. Many of the newer "gaming" keyboard have hardware and software designed to make it so that you can push multiple keys at once and have them recognized properly. Older, basic keyboard do not.

It may also be the key repeat rate is to high. That is set in the Keyboard applet in Control Panel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users