Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Local Area Connection (LAN) icon. How do I get it back?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 amethyst

amethyst

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:29 PM

A friend accidentally deleted my LAN icon and I can't seem to get it back. Unfortunately I cannot set up my brand new Linksys router while it's plugged into a brand new Ethernet cable. Even the cable guy gave up today when he couldn't find the LAN icon.

So far I have uninstalled and reinstalled the network drivers from Dell, rebooted. No luck. I also followed the steps on this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329050

Wireless is working just fine, however I really need to have access to my router so I can secure my connection - I live in an apartment complex and I'm sure everyone is enjoying the free wifi!

I've misplaced my XP CD, so hopefully the solution will not include me having to use it.

Please help. I cannot seem to figure this out on my own while searching around the net. Any advice would be appreciated!

Edited by amethyst, 15 September 2010 - 07:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:41 PM

Since you tried the suggestions in the article you linked to, the device has to be listed in Device Manager.

Try this:

Method 1: Let Windows automatically detect and install network adapters
Windows can automatically detect and install the correct network adapters for you. It will also correct any corrupted registry entries on the network adapter.

To direct Windows to automatically detect and install network adapters for you, follow these steps:
Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
To see a list of installed network adapters, expand Network adapter(s). Click to locate the network adapter, and then click Uninstall.
Restart the computer, and then let the system automatically detect and install the network adapter drivers.
Check to see whether your networking icons appear. If this method worked for you, you are finished with this article.

If this method did not work for you, try Method 2.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826

edit to add: The article I linked to contains some of the same information that is in the one you posted.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 September 2010 - 08:48 PM.

#3 amethyst

amethyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for replying. I tried the above as well as the second method and no change whatsoever. Please advise.

#4 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:04 AM

http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=4...f302c260093894b

you can try this let me know how it goes ok :thumbsup:

Right Click on My Computer
Go To Properties
Go to Hardware
Click on Device Manage.

See if there's anything under network Adapters... You want to see a network card of some sort (Dlink, SMC, Realtek, VIA.. anything will do) and double click on the card... Make sure it says the Device is working properly... If it says driver problem r reinstall the driver, otherwise work with whatever the error says..

If the Device is working properly delete it and reboot...

When you reboot Windows should automatically reinstall the driver for it.. .and at the same time a new Local Area Connection should be created...

Your other option is to go to My Network Places --> Properties (Right Click) and Create a New Connection in there.

Edited by rockmilk, 16 September 2010 - 12:09 AM.

#5 amethyst

amethyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:39 AM

Thanks. I did this a couple times yesterday, did it again this morning and no LAN. But now my wireless network is named Wireless Connection 3, I'm guessing because I uninstalled and reinstalled the network drivers 3 times now?

If it makes a difference, Windows did not automatically reinstall the driver. I manually installed it after a few minutes when I realized it wasn't going to reinstall itself on its own.

Still stumped!

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2010 - 08:03 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote ~ Hamluis.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

The only other thing I can think of is a system restore to a time just before the icon was deleted, and I don't know if that would get the icon back. It's something to consider doing-we get to a point where we try almost anything to try to solve an issue.

Since I'm not a connection or hardware expert, and have no clue what to tell you, I'll put out a call to the BC staff. Maybe one of them will be able to help you.

#7 amethyst

amethyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

The only other thing I can think of is a system restore to a time just before the icon was deleted, and I don't know if that would get the icon back. It's something to consider doing-we get to a point where we try almost anything to try to solve an issue.

Since I'm not a connection or hardware expert, and have no clue what to tell you, I'll put out a call to the BC staff. Maybe one of them will be able to help you.

Thanks so much. Did a System Restore too, nothing. :thumbsup:

#8 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:55 AM

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-h...air-windows-xp/

this seems to be your only option left my friend i know for a fact this will work the only thing you will have to do after this is reinstall your windows updates

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:58 AM

I've misplaced my XP CD, so hopefully the solution will not include me having to use it.

The link posted by rockmilk includes instructions which call for your XP disk. IF you choose to go this route, and you cannot find your disk, you could borrow one from someone. You will need to get the same version your system is using: if XP home, you'll need the home disk.

I did ask for assistance, so hopefully someone will respond with more suggestions.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 September 2010 - 09:01 AM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:59 AM

System model (e.g., Inspiron 1545)?

FWIW: I don't believe that System Restore has any impact on hardware...I can't be sure since I don't ever use SR.

In any case...go to Device Manager and list whatever is reflected under Network Adapters. If there is nothing listed and there is a yellow marking there, that indicates that the system doesn't recognize the proper driver as being installed.

Also...go to Control Panel/Network & Internet Connections/Network Connections. Post the info that is reflected there, please.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2010 - 09:01 AM.

#11 amethyst

amethyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:11 AM

System model (e.g., Inspiron 1545)?

FWIW: I don't believe that System Restore has any impact on hardware...I can't be sure since I don't ever use SR.

In any case...go to Device Manager and list whatever is reflected under Network Adapters. If there is nothing listed and there is a yellow marking there, that indicates that the system doesn't recognize the proper driver as being installed.

Also...go to Control Panel/Network & Internet Connections/Network Connections. Post the info that is reflected there, please.

Louis

I do have a Inspiron 1505 (yeah an oldie, I know)

Under Network Adapters, Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini Card. Proper driver is installed and working properly. No yellow question marks to speak of. Status says it's working properly. As I mentioned up thread I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver 3 times. I am using my wireless connection to get online to type this.

Under C Panel/Network & Internet Connections/Network connections there is an icon for Wireless Connections 3, connected, firewalled.

Let me know if you need more info and thanks for all your help!

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:26 AM

Drivers, Inspiron 1505.

If you look at the Network drivers...you will see that 11 are listed. All except 2 are for wireless applications and we can disregard them for the moment.

The other two drivers are for your NIC connection...and one of those is a diagnostic utility, not really a driver.

That leaves the one designated as "Broadcom Driver" as the one which should install drivers for the NIC/LAN (wired) function on the system.

Try downloading that one...then installing it on your system. You should just have to double-click it to install it.

Louis

#13 amethyst

amethyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:41 AM

Thanks Louis. I must have had the driver installed already, because when I attempted to install it forced me to uninstall first. So I installed it and reinstalled the driver. Didn't do anything else after that. Checked and there's no LAN (not sure if that would be something fixed instantly!).

#14 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:42 AM

amethyst,
As you have mentioned that you have a dell, I have to say then...that the way in which you have explained yourself can be the reason for some confusion here. Dell's drivers and downloads section, from their web site, allows users to choose where they want to install the downloaded software. Assuming you chose to use default settings, then your driver downloads more than likely install themselves to the intended location. However, one can also uninstall these drivers from within the "Dell" folder where the software is stored. Those drivers also come on board with uninstall strings that you can access from within the appropriate folder for each downloaded driver.

That said, you can see then how some could be confused as to what method you used to "uninstall and reinstall" these drivers.

I do know that Windows is quite capable of recreating your missing LAN icon. The method by which this happens is when one uninstalls the network card from within the device manager and not the particular drivers you downloaded. If, using device manager, you uninstall the network card, then reboot the system, Windows should find the hardware and open the "Found New Hardware" wizard for you. From there, you should be good to go.

Disabled Veteran, U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

Member: U.N.I.T.E.
Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:52 AM

FWIW: Another way to verify what connections are currently set up/existing...go to Network Places and click the item in the left column which says View Network Connections.

That should reflect your router and any other connections which the system has...in fact, the router may not necessarily be displayed but any Internet connection should be reflected.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users