Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected explorer.exe and logon files - hI think maybe combofix nuked these

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 donzebbo

donzebbo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

Hi folks,

I just got a warning from COMODO anti-virus that I had infected files, so I told it to fix them and restarted my computer. Upon running COMODO again, it says these 2 files are infected:

D:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogin.exe (I have my system on my D drive)
D:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe

Those might not the exact filenames, but they are the main explorer.exe and logon files for my system

with

trojware.win32.patched.kl.(and some numbers I don't have handy)

I ran combofix because that has always helped in the past with problems,a nd I have a bad feeling it nuked those files or something, because I am having trouble getting past the Windows XP "Welcome..." screen.

Anyone know what may have happened, ora good way to fix this? Ay yay yay computers.

\
EDIT: On the 5th attempt, I can actually get into Windows, however COMODO still tells me those files are infected, and I am scared of clicking "quarantine" or "clean" in case it just deletes them.

Edited by hamluis, 15 September 2010 - 03:53 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 adeadwaffle

adeadwaffle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

Same thing is happening to me and this is a relatively recent problem (I think it started just 3 days ago).
I chose to remove these files once and that caused a blue screen and a crash to happen, then I tried to quarantine it and the same thing happened. I have no clue how to deal with this Trojan any help would be appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users