Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

making dl 524 into an access point

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GA_crazy_shamz

GA_crazy_shamz

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:06 PM

Hey guys,

I live in an apartment building where the building supplies the internet. They say that in order to set up my own wireless for use in just my apartment (using their DSL cable), I need to use an access point and not a wireless router as that messes with their IP or something.

I have a Dl-524 wireless router (dlink) and I was wondering if anyone knows how I can turn it into an access point? I'd really appreciate the help.

And I'm a dumbo when it comes to this stuff so I'll need the exact settings. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:03 PM

Yep, you can do that.

I am assuming your wireless is already set up, if not, do that first.

Connect to one of the four LAN ports and log in to the management screen. Click the WAN button on the left side. Select "Static IP Address" and enter an address of 10.10.10.10 and mask 255.255.255.0. Save it.

Now go to the LAN button on the left. Set the LAN IP address to 192.168.x.1 where x is some number OTHER THAN what your PC gets when you connect to the building Ethernet (I usually use 192.168.101.1). Write this number on a piece of tape and stick it on the bottom of the router. You will need it to ever talk to the router again, and you will have to set your PC to the same subnet (192.168.101.2, for instance) if you need to talk to it. DO NOT SAVE OR RESET YET.

Go to the DHCP tab on the left. Set the DHCP Server to Disabled.

NOW you can save and reset the router. Put a piece of tape over the WAN (or Internet) plug on the back. You won't use it, and need to remember not to try. Plug the building Ethernet into one of the LAN ports. Your wireless should be online, and you can also use the other three LAN ports for connectivity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users