Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete a Large Backup File

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:41 PM

I helped a former student restore his Gateway Laptop with Vista Home Premium. It was in such bad shape that I had to use the restore partition in order to get the computer running properly. When I began the restore partition I was asked if I wanted to wipe out the drive (reformat) or to do a backup of all data and then have it placed on the hard drive as a complete backup. I thought that would be the best choice and I do have the laptop running again like it should. I've done over 160 Windows Updates including both Service Pack 1 and 2.

The computer is working quite well except for one problem. I dont want to keep the backup file on the primary drive now that everything is restored. The backup is 18.8 gigs and even includes Windows!

I've tried to delete the partition but I am getting a message that I don't have the proper permissions to delete. I did go inside the folder and delete what I could but due to the remaining size I would like to get rid of the rest of it.

I even went into Safe Mode and tried to delete but I still got a message saying I don't have proper permission.

Thanks for any and all suggestions on how I can get rid of this file. I don't think I need it as it was created as a backup for me to get information to put back on the computer after I did the recovery!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:17 AM

Gateway instructions...should cover how to do such, the manner in which their restore function works, etc. Such should be available at the GW website.

Louis

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:45 AM

Talked to Gateway and they would be glad to assist in deleting a large file that was created when I used "their" restore feature. The only problem is that they want to send you on to paid support. Sad that they created the means by which support is needed and won't help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users