Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Up grade MS Office 2000 Pro to MS Office 2003 Pro?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bsgranpa

bsgranpa

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:38 PM

Last spring, I had to fresh install XP Pro on my laptop and thought that it would be a good idea to buy Office 2003 Professional to replace my old Office 2000. I love it and find that I am very frustrated with the 2000 Pro on my office computer. So, I just bought another 2003 Pro and I have no idea how to proceed to upgrade. Do I uninstall all of the current Office programs? Do I simply stick the disk in the CD drive and let Windows figure it out? Do I build a fire in the parking lot and do a dance? I was successful with a new installation when I did the fresh install. But I do not want to lose all of my Outlook e-mails attachments, and contacts. I have benefited a great deal from the help here in the past. I hope that someone can guide me in the simplest possible way. I am a relative novice/greenhorn.

Edited by hamluis, 15 September 2010 - 03:45 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Business Applications ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

Each MS Office edition...is a distinct entity, there really is no such thing as an "upgrade" from one version to another.

You could conceivably install each and they would both work, because they are independent of each other.

I suggest uninstalling the version you don't like...install the version that you do like :thumbsup:. That's what I do.

You will need the CD for each to uninstall or install.

Louis

#3 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:52 PM

Well, hello my old friend. I have purchased and have both the Office 2000 Pro and now the Office 2003 Pro. How do I utilize the 2000 disk to uninstall. How do I make sure that all of my e-mails, contacts, and attachments are not lost when I install the 2003 version? Please be very clear and simplistic when you advise the steps.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

Well...I can't help with transferring contacts, email, etc...because I've never liked Outlook and always uninstall it when I install the whole package.

But there is adequate documentation available...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-...A001054914.aspx

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/B...utlook_Data.htm

You might also look through the tips and pinned topics that are available in this forum (I moved you from XP to Business Applications, which includes MS Office).

To uninstall Office, just use Add/Remove Programs. It will ask you for your CD when you want to uninstall Office.

To install the new Office...just insert the CD and follow the prompts.

This forum puts you in the right place to get info about any version of MS Office :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:34 PM

Louis, how do I view the .pst file. I can see that they are located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\Bill Scott\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook1.pst

However, when I "right click" Start, select "Explore", and try to find this particular file path "Local Settings" is not in the folder options in "Bill Scott". I am going crazy.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:55 PM

Local Settings is a standard Docs & Settings folder, following the username.

My path for such: C:\Documents & Settings\Louis.

If you don't have such, something is wrong with your system.

I can't help you with .pst files and such, I don't use Outlook and .pst files belong to Outlook.

Louis

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:57 PM

Outlook stores everything in the outlook.pst file. It is in binary format that Outlook can read
Outlook Backup Tutorial
Back up that file to a jump drive or another location on your computer before proceeding!!
Uninstall as much of Office 2000 as you see listed in add/remove programs as you can see
Restart, even if not prompted to do so
Download and run the Office removal tool eraser2k from here to clean up what is left
Then install Office 2003 and restore your data file from within Outlook
The tutorial also provides that information

Edited by Eyesee, 15 September 2010 - 05:58 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

Eyesee, the tutorial says that it only for: "Outlook with Internet Mail Only". When I go to "Help", "About" I see that my version is Windows Outlook 2002, SP3.
I don't find that in the list in the link you provided.

Also, please verify that I am to uninstall all components of Office currently on my computer, restart, download and run the Office Removal Tool, restart again (I assume), put in the 2003 Professional CD, and follow the on screen instructions to install all its components. After that, how do I get all my Outlook stuff into the new Outlook? How do I save my POP3 settings? Signature?

Also, is there a way to unhide the folder where the .pst files are? Notice the question above about the route.

Thank you very much for your help. You can probably tell that I'm the newest of the Newbies around here.

Edited by bsgranpa, 15 September 2010 - 06:23 PM.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

I thought that the versions of office went from 2000 to 2003. In any event, follow the tutorial for 2003. It should be very similar.

I had forgotten about the POP3 & SMTP settings. To get them from inside of Outlook click the tools menu - accounts menu - mail tab - properties button - server tab. Write them down and make sure you know the password. I would expect that the signature is stored in the outlook.pst file but am not certain. Easy enough to recreate if needed though.

You can unhide the outlook.pst file by going into My Computer - Tools menu - folder options - view tab and put the bullet in show hidden files.

Backup the outlook.pst file to a jump drive or copy it to another location like my documents then follow the above. Eraser2k will remove traces not uninstalled through add/remove programs.

Once Office is installed use File - import to restore your data. The tutorial provides detailed instructions on how to do that.

#10 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:08 AM

Eyesee, as I surf this subject, I notice that this process does not always go as smoothly as it should. Prior to doing all this uninstalling and fresh installing, if I set a Restore Point, can I revert back to pre-uninstall? My Outlook is very important to my business and I would like to be able to back track if this does not go as I hope. If a Restore would not completely do the job, is there a free or inexpensive program that would do the job? When it comes to this, I really want to be "belt and suspenders" redundant. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate the generous nature of all here who have the patience and expertise to hand hold folks like me.

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:54 PM

System restore points only backup critical windows files so the short answer is no
Your data is all stored in one file outlook.pst. Make multiple copies of it if you need to

#12 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:24 AM

OK, my friend. I'm in California for the weekend. My Granddaughter is in a high school volleyball tournament and she needs me there to cheer extra loud like Granpa's do. I'll be back in the office in a couple of days and launch out in faith that this will all be just fine. Thanks for your help.

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:46 PM

Let us know how it turns out & who won the game!

#14 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:42 PM

Eyesee, sadly they lost to the eventual champion in the semi's. It was a wonderful weekend and we continue to revel in the joy of grandchildren.

On another note, the following image is my "Add-Remove" window. If I am going to upgrade to Office 2003 Professional, which of these should I uninstall?

Posted Image

Thanks again.

#15 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

Uninstall the two Office XP entries and Outlook 2002
I would keep publisher
Reboot when done even if not prompted to do so
Then insert your cd and install it. I always do a custom install so I can pick only the programs that I want

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users