Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading system to make full use of 500mbps connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 borderfox100

borderfox100

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:35 PM

Hi. I have just had a 500mbps fibre connection installed. I want to extract maximum value out of this connection as I run an app that serves out real-time data - and any reduction in latency improves overall quality.
However the current configuration doesn't make full use of this connection. Firstly, they supplied me with this router => http://www.trustedreviews.com/networking/r...-Home-Router/p1 - which is nonsensical when you consider it doesn't allow delivery of what this connection is capable of. I will replace it (open to suggestions by the way).

Secondly, I need to replace the 10/100 LAN card in the pc to a gigabit card. I see cheap gigabit cards (20) on ebay and more expensive ones (70). Anyone know what the difference is between these as I can't seem to find an explanation online??

After that, data has to reach this usb smartcard => http://www.maxdigital.nl/?action=pagina&am...id2=3&id3=7 . Is there anything between the cardreader and the gigabit ethernet card within the pc that will act as a bottleneck in terms of latency (memory and cpu usage are not a factor with this application)???
I guess the usb 2.0 reader is a bottleneck in itself as its either 120 or 180mbps?

Any thoughts on the subject would be really appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:47 PM

Don't confuse bandwidth and latency.

A Semi-trailer truck and Ferrari sports car can both go coast to coast. The Ferrari does it with low latency but low bandwidth. The truck does it with higher latency but much higher bandwidth. The choice of the right tool depends on knowing what the job is.

If it's low latency you are looking for eliminate the router all together. Get a good quality Gig E NIC like an Intel/Pro1000 server card and go direct to your computer. Of course this assumes you are a master at securing your computer from Internet badness on a direct connection. Then use one of the available tools or guidesto tune the TCP stack to your application.

The USB part I can't help you with.

I also can't imagine what the application could possibly be to have these requirements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users