Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange buzzing noise when I boot up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cam1020

cam1020

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

Ever since yesterday I've been experiencing a weird problem with my MacBook. Every time I boot up or take it out of sleep mode my computer makes a strange noise. Yesterday it sounded like the disc drive was sort of straining, sort of like the sound it makes when ejecting a disc. Today it got a little worse, producing a violent buzzing noise. Any idea what might cause this? My computer specs are as follows:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB52.0088.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.38f5
Serial Number (system): W89109F84R1
Hardware UUID: A4B06ABA-47FC-5BCA-90A0-30C8029F1DDE
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

Well I can only offer you this and nothing else, I have an iBook G4 and it makes that sound from the CD drive, it happens just like yours does. I would get another opinion but it is normal for me. Be sure it is coming from the CD drive and not the hard drive. :blink:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 richardtj

richardtj

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:53 AM

I know the Macbook Pro suffers from an optical drive issue. Suspect that it's got stuck on eject. Try inserting a cd into it and ejecting it (make sure it's a cd you dn't ever want back). It could also be a failed fan. Check the grilles which are on the back, where the screen hinge is. Yep, the G4 powerbook does do this every time it's powered on. First thing it does is ensure the optical is cleared. Also check it's not comming from the speakers- there could be a sound issue

Edited by richardtj, 19 September 2010 - 02:56 AM.

#4 cam1020

cam1020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

I tried your suggestion of inserting a CD, and that seems to have done the trick! It didn't detect it at first, but eventually something inside must have shifted when I stuck the disc in. After that it went in and ejected normally. I rebooted the computer and the buzzing was gone. Thanks for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users