Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop icons, toolbar disappearing after inactivity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 packrat87

packrat87

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:18 PM

Hello

Whenever I leave my computer inactive for a certain amount of time, the desktop icons and the toolbar would disappear leaving only the background visible. If I press ctrl+alt+delete, the background turns black with only the white mouse pointer visible. Pressing Esc would restore the background back. So I have no choice but to close the computer from the system unit.

I ran Kaspersky Internet Suite 2011, Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro in safe mode and found nothing but tracking cookies. Note: While downloading the latest version of Kaspersky, it found 8 Trojans HEUR, but after quarantining them, it deemed them to be safe afterwards since it reports 0 trojan reported.

Can somebody help me with this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

Your computer may not be as clean as you suspect it might be.

The Heur Trojan is one Trojan that tries to hide its self by creating new varients of its self by changing its name to avoid detection.

Read this article. http://www.ehow.com/way_5762738_heur-trojan-removal.html

Symptoms
•Slow Internet browsing, a different browser homepage, Windows instability, modified desktop wallpaper and fake Dr. Watson security alerts are all symptoms of a Heur Trojan infection. You can verify that your computer is infected by installing anti-virus software. Perform a complete system scan, and it will indicate the presence of this virus by displaying "Generic.Trojan.Heur", or some variation of those words

Removal
•The Heur Trojan is a polymorphic virus consisting of multiple files, which means it is constantly changing to avoid detection and removal. This also means that no two copies of the malicious files are exactly the same, and can sometimes make removal difficult.

The first step to combating this infection is to install AVG's free anti-virus program. Download it (see Resources for a link) from the AVG homepage and install it, then click "Update now" to ensure you are using the latest AVG virus definitions. Select the "Computer Scanner" tab and then click on the "Scan Whole Computer" button. The time it takes to scan your entire system depends on how fast your computer is, and how much data is stored on your hard drive. After scanning, the anti-virus software will display a list of files that are infected; these files comprise the Heur Trojan virus. Select the option to "Move to Vault," and the files will be quarantined and prevented from executing. Reboot your computer and again perform an entire system scan with AVG's anti-virus program. If the second scan shows no signs of infection, then the Heur Trojan was successfully removed. If the Heur Trojan is still present, you will have to attempt to remove it using a more specialized type of anti-virus software.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/homepage

You can also try Mawarebytes Anti malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/ Download the Free version, update it and scan your computer.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 15 September 2010 - 03:56 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 packrat87

packrat87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:55 PM

Thank you for the reply Bruce.

I first scanned my computer with Malwarebytes in safe mode. It found nothing.

I installed AVG and scanned in normal mode. Other than the cookies, it found two trojan horses: Generic2_c.BOMJ. It has been moved in the virus vault.

I also have to say that it's the first time a trojan horse has been found attach to a JAVA file. The first time I scanned my computer after I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 a week ago. My Kaspersky found trojan horses in Java related files in my folder Windows.old

Can a trojan horse be affecting my desktop icons and toolbar?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users