Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Known Hacker, trying to protect

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NeverResting

NeverResting

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:09 PM

I have a protection order against someone who has hacked many of my electronic accounts. I have done all the basics (new accounts, visit loggers where possible, new complex passwords, etc.), but am paranoid as he has gotten past these before. There is a computer forensic tech examining my old hard drive, but what is the best way to keep safe? For example, I have many anti-spyware and anti-keyloggers (none of the later run for some reason). Then I see random weird things like this line from my HJT log:
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{69522A0C-F727-4761-AD84-BF4DF1B4046F}: NameServer = 0.0.0.0
and I never know when to worry or not.

Is there even a paid service that would handle weekly security queries? It seems about once a week I find something that I cannot decipher that looks suspicious. Until the police get their head out of their a**, I have to protect myself from this stalker.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,622 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:01 PM

That TCP setting, though not necessarily normal, is not harmful either. It can be ignored.

Unfortunately, you are probably jumping at shadows due to your past experiences. I do not know of any service per se, but you can always ask us questions if you need clarification on something.

To protect yourself from hackers, the best thing to have it a Wireless router or a wired router with absolutely no port forwarding. This will make it impossible for a remote user to hack your account as they will not be able to reach your computer. At that point the only way someone could hack your computer is if they physically have access to it or if they trick you into running something that provides a backdoor to it.

#3 kaleb derek

kaleb derek

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

how do you turn port forwarding off on your router?

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

On most routers, port forwarding must be explicitly turned on for a specific port/IP combo. So, if you haven't turned it on, then you needn't turn it off. That being said, you may want to check to ensure that nothing has been turned on by someone else. You can do this from the router's control panel which is usually accessible by entering its IP address in you browser's address bar. The default IP address depends on the make and model of the router (you can look it up on Google) and usually looks something like 192.168.x.x where x= a number from 0 to 255. The precise steps to follow in the control panel also vary widely from model to model.

Edited by Andrew, 19 September 2010 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users