Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing My Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stevansky

stevansky

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:55 PM

I have a Dell E521 that's 3 years old and so far has worked just fine. My OS is Vista Home Premium 32 bit, I have 4gb of ram installed, and the processor is a AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 5000+ I have a lot of stuff on my hard drive (that I do have backed up on an external) and I'm thinking it might be a good idea to replace my existing with a larger somewhat faster drive. I have a hard drive picked out and know how to physically install it but not sure how to get everything transferred over to it in such a way that I can boot to it afterward. Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:14 PM

Dell Guide, Removing/Installing Hardware

Seems to me that the safest way to transfer everything to a new drive...is to use cloning software, which will create an exact copy of what's on the Old Drive...on the New Drive.

There are many programs that can do this identical copying of a hard drive...this is what I use for such, http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/dis...py-software.htm.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users