Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading/Changing Windows 7 with an .iso

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ThatGirl

ThatGirl

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:42 PM

I have a laptop that has Windows 7 Ultimate and I got from my school a copy of Windows 7 that I was going to use to activate this. But it happens to be professional not ultimate. I've checked it out and found really no difference so I figured I may as well just switch the OS. But I "bought" the free version, which is a download version and it would cost me more money to order the installation disk.

I know that an .iso is a disk image, its just that I didn't bring any CDs/DVDs up with me to college and I really don't want to buy any from the bookstore because it is crazily over priced. So I was wondering, could I "mount" the disk and run the installation while Windows 7 Ultimate is running? I though I'd have to install it by booting from the disk.

I also have an external harddrive, so if there is anyway I can install it from there or some such thing then that would work too. I have it partitioned already (15gb / 120gb~ / 110gb~) And the .ISO is on the 110gb parition, away from my backups, on the 120gb~ and the 15gb~ is empty (was going to be Linux but I'm not sure if I'm going to follow through with that.

Also sorry if this is in the wrong section, I don't really know where to ask this . . .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThatGirl

ThatGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

Whups! I found the answer to my own question, but considering I've been searching for that answer for 2 - 3 days iI'll leave the answer here for anyone who wants it.

If you're looking to boot windows from an external HDD / USB follow these steps! (As long as you can boot from a USB that is)

1) Make sure you have an External HDD / USB and that it is formatted (I believe FAT32 is nescessary).
  • If windows is not allowing you to make the drive FAT32, then you need to have a smaller partition
  • On windows 7 go to "Disk Management", and from there you can "Delete" the current partition and then "make new volume"s of your own size.
  • For this I went with 15gb drives, but 5gb should be suitable for windows 7.
2) Good, now go get your .iso for Windows 7 (I think this would work with Linux also)

3) Extract the iso to the root of the wanted drive. -___- Yes, just like a zip file.

4) Boot.

>>__>> This was kind of Sarcastic.

But yea i think I've solved my own problem. I'll edit this if it doesn't work.

#3 lnepoe888

lnepoe888

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:49 AM

If you have Daemon Tools, you can also mount it and then run the install inside windows. Make sure you backup everything, as it will wipe everything except the old Windows folder (If I remember correctly)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users