Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Escd Enabled - Now Computer Wont Power Up!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mcgini

mcgini

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:21 AM

Please help!-I am running windows 98 on another machine and tried to instal an M-Audio Audiophile soundcard which doesnt seem to be recognised when I go into windows, even when I instal the driver manually it doesn't show up in my System Hardware.
So, silly me not really knowing what I'm doing went into the BIOS and enabled the ESCD (seemed like a good choice at the time!) Now when I try to power up my computer I just get a bleeping sound - - - - - - (quite a long bleep then silent then bleep etc), and the cmputer doesnt power up nor will my display come up with anything.

Can anyone help!
Thanks. Ian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:12 AM

Open your computer's case and remove the J7 jumper for 1 minute. This will reset your BIOS to the default settings. If you cannot locate J7, removing the motherboard battery for 1 minute will have the same effect.

Edited by acklan, 10 November 2005 - 08:13 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 mcgini

mcgini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:23 AM

Thanks, that seems to have done the job.
Any ideas on the soundcard instalation? It should be a Plug and play card but windows doesnt seem to detect it.When try and instal it manually with the driver CD it still doesn't sho up in my System devices.

(The card is an M-Audio Audiophile 2496).

Thanks again :thumbsup:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:19 AM

In the old days. :thumbsup: Changing the slots around had some effect. The video card hould be in slot 1(closest to the processor), unless you have AGP slot. The other though is the card is bad.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users