Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 data files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 capriliz

capriliz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

I logged onto my computer this morning, and all connections/paths to personal type data is gone.

At first, I thought it was totally gone. But, then I realized that firefox was still on my computer, but has been wiped clean of any personal data such as bookmarks, etc. I don't even have access to roboform data!

I can see my documents, music, etc when I go through "My computer" and click on the hard drive icon. But, I cannot access my files by going through "my documents".

I was going to start copying over files, but the files are going to a "temp/my documents" location, not to "my documents".

It also seems as though I have lost access to my Administrator's account.

Any ideas on what is causing the disconnect?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:25 PM

Try using 'System Restore' to return your system to a time before the problem occurred. Preferably, early yesterday morning before any Microsoft updates were installed.

#3 capriliz

capriliz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

I don't have access to any of the system restore files.

It appears as though I have been logged into my computer with a temp access.

#4 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:48 PM

See if you can start your system in 'Safe' mode. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...er-in-safe-mode
If you can start then select 'Advanced startup options' then http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...uding-safe-mode
select 'Repair your computer'.

#5 capriliz

capriliz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

I don't have any back up disks. Can I still run repair without any kind of MS windows disk?

#6 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:00 PM

Repair is still possible if the tools are installed on the HDD.

Repair Your Computer:

Shows a list of system recovery tools you can use to repair startup problems, run diagnostics, or restore your system. This option is available only if the tools are installed on your computer's hard disk. If you have a Windows installation disc, the system recovery tools are located on that disc. For more information, see Startup Repair: frequently asked questions.

#7 capriliz

capriliz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:13 PM

Thank you, Zuhl, for the time you took to try to help me resolve my issue.

I took the time to backup any files that I did have access to, and was going to go into safe mode. Then I realized that Microsoft had downloaded an update last night. I decided to try a reboot first. And it worked! I now have my desktop, and all personal data files.

Thought I would post in case anyone else is running into the same issue.

I am now off to make restore disks. I always put that task off, but not anymore!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users