Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White Noise/ static coming from speakers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 st3v3yo

st3v3yo

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

Initially, the only sound that came out of the speakers was static. When I tried messing with the volume settings, however, I found something interesting. I run windows 7, and in the volume mixer, there is a master speaker volume and then separate volume controls for every application you have open. lowering the master volume had no effect, but as I lowered application volume, the static dissipated. only when I lowered it to 1 volume did the sound for that application become almost normal (loud sounds still made a crackling sound). Its been like this for a few weeks now, but interestingly enough, one day I booted up my CPU and the problem was totally gone. sound was utterly normal. when I turned i off and back on later, the problem was back. I tried plugging headphones in in place of the speakers to test if is was a speaker problem, and it didnt change.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have no idea whats going on...

btw when I look up my audio card manufacturer in dxdiag, all it says is "pnp audio device"

Edited by st3v3yo, 15 September 2010 - 10:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

The applications volume control which is associated with system sounds may have a circuit that is close to something inside the computer that is picking up electronic pulses from a close by source.

I am not sure if you have an on-board sound card or not, or if your sound card is an add-on card.

You may have something as simple as a cooling fan wire in close proximity to the audio circuits.

Make sure your power wires from your PSU are also not close to the audio circuits as your audio amplifier could be picking up noise from these wires as well.

Once you have made sure, there are no wires close to the audio circuits, test your audio volume levels again.

Hope this helps.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 st3v3yo

st3v3yo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:13 AM

i havent had the time to test your theory but my computer has been randomly freezing and rebooting while i'm using it, and it will sometimes go into this hibernate-esque mode if I leave it sitting for a while (I checked; hibernate is turned off). could these problems be related, or do I just have really bad luck?

#4 st3v3yo

st3v3yo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

ok i posted a new thread because a huge new variable just presented itself. heres the link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic349221.html

#5 kimr

kimr

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:46 AM

Initially, the only sound that came out of the speakers was static. When I tried messing with the volume settings, however, I found something interesting. I run windows 7, and in the volume mixer, there is a master speaker volume and then separate volume controls for every application you have open. lowering the master volume had no effect, but as I lowered application volume, the static dissipated. only when I lowered it to 1 volume did the sound for that application become almost normal (loud sounds still made a crackling sound). Its been like this for a few weeks now, but interestingly enough, one day I booted up my CPU and the problem was totally gone. sound was utterly normal. when I turned i off and back on later, the problem was back. I tried plugging headphones in in place of the speakers to test if is was a speaker problem, and it didnt change.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have no idea whats going on...

btw when I look up my audio card manufacturer in dxdiag, all it says is "pnp audio device"

I had a similar problem a while back. I installed a new sound card and that fixed it but I could no longer use the front jacks when I wanted to quickly plug in a headset.

Completely by accident, I discovered that the sound problem stopped when I unplugged the usb connector for my wireless keyboard and mouse.

I'm using a wired keyboard and new mouse and the problem has completely disappeared.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users