Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Doesnít Recognize MS Word

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 flndt

flndt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:00 AM

Iím running Office 2000 in Windows 7 64 bit, & itís been working good except for Outlook, & donít care about Outlook. Iím getting ready to install Office 2007, & would like to install both Office versions (2000 & 2007).

The MS site said this is possible. To avoid conflicts, it said to take a few steps before installing Office 2007. The 1st is to rename Office 2000 startup links. All Iíve done so far is rename the links (e.g., "Microsoft Word" to "Word 2000"), & nothing else. Office 2007 has not been installed, & Iíve made no changes to registry or anything else.

Word is now giving me 2 startup problems. Itís as if Word is no longer registered with Windows.

1) The User Account Control (UAC) now activates every time I start Word. The UAC asks if the program (winword.exe) should be allowed to make changes. It also shows the publisher as ďunknown.Ē This includes starting Word manually from within its directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office 2000\Office). Word runs OK after clicking "Yes" in UAC.

2) The Word start icons are not recognized by Win 7. I get blank generic icons in the Start Menu & Taskbar. I did unpin those icons from the taskbar & start menu before I renamed them.

Can anyone help me fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 face pirate

face pirate

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:14 AM

the original winword.exe may have been overwritten

Have you tried an installation repair of Office 2000?
To do this:
Go to programs & features in the Control Panel
Scroll down and select Microsoft Office 2000 and there should be an option to Change/Repair

Office 2007 would work better on Windows 7 as it has current update support and will integrate better with windows
Posted Image

Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

#3 flndt

flndt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:39 AM

Thanks. I tried that already. It didn't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users