Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen went blank no signal from pc

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Xerces

Xerces

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:25 AM

I was using my pc and the screen went blank and the screen displayed 'out of range' but my music was still playing.now it stays on standby when i turn on the pc.
i thought it could be either the motherboard or gfx so replaced both but still the same problem. I also tried different cables, outputs, monitor inputs and the monitor works fine for other devices.

My spec is:

asus a8n sli premium- was deluxe
amd athlon 64
geforce 7800gt- was 6800
500w power
250gig HD
XP

anyone with any help would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

Sounds to me like your video driver is crashing your computer.

I am not sure what driver you are using.

Are you sure your downloading the correct driver geforce 7800gt does not show up at Nvidia's web site.

The following GeForce video cards are listed GeForce 7800 GS, GeForce 7800 GTX and GeForce 7800 SLI

Here is support from Asus.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=nbulqxniNmzf0mH1

To automatically get drivers for your video card click this link (warning this page will load an automated hardware detection download called an ADD-ON, when you click this link, your browser will ask to run the following plugin, if you have IE 7 and up, click the yellow notification at the top of your IE browser, this will start up the add-on which will automatically detect your Video card and recommend a drive for it directly from Nvidia, this is a safe program.)

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 15 September 2010 - 01:40 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Xerces

Xerces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for your reply.

my drivers for my 6800 were last updated earlier in the year march i think, but i dont know which driver it was.

The problem i have is that i cant see anything on my monitor, so i cant update the drivers. and the 7800 is new so it hasnt had any driver updates. it is the GT model, 1 down from GTX. if theres anything else i could tell u so you can help please let me know

thanks

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:04 PM

Okay for clairification, can you see any video when you boot up the computer?

For example, can you see the anything on the screen while the computer is in the POST stage?

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Xerces

Xerces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

when i boot up my pc it starts with no beep (normally there was one beep) and the monitor now stays in standby. No video at all

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

Okay thank you, no beep means your computer is not reaching the POST screen.

I would start checking your power wire coming from the PSU to the motherboard for possible problems.

There is a 20 or in some cases 24 pin power supply harness that goes from the PSU to the motherboard, sometimes those get loose or oxidation builds up on the connectors.

Unplug it and replug it back into the connector again.

Also some motherboards have a 4 and the newer ones have a 6 connector which comes from the PSU that goes to a socket on the motherboard called 12 V., do the same with this connector.

I am going to supply you with a web site that has various pictures and trouble-shooter procedures for power supplies in computers, look this page over for trouble-shooting help.

This site also has a section on Video card issues as well.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/home/index.html

Hope this has been helpful to you.

Bruce.

#7 Xerces

Xerces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:04 AM

Thanks

I havent had amy luck though, I still have the same problem.

Ive unplugged and checked both connections (24 and 4 pin) and every other connection in pc and put them back properly. Checked motherboard, ram gfx for signs of damage- nothing I can see. Reset motherboard too, everything the website suggested which is possible with no video.

If it is the drivers that need updating how can i do this without a video signal and the pc not even reaching POST?

Thanks for helping :thumbsup:

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

If it is the drivers that need updating how can i do this without a video signal and the pc not even reaching POST?
Thanks for helping :thumbsup:

You are welcome.

This is not a driver issue, there are actually no drivers loaded or needed until windows loads the drivers for each piece of hardware, this happens once the operating system starts to load on the screen.

Being that your video card does not load video during the POST screen is an indication of a graphics accelerator chip failure.

However I must also stress, that you could have a problem with the connection between the monitor's video connector and the video port on the computer.

Bruce.

#9 Xerces

Xerces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:20 PM

Im now really confused as to whats causing the failure.

I replaced the mobo and gfx card for new ones so I dont see how it could be a gfx accelerator failure.

Ive also tried now on another monitor with cables and port that 100% work.

does this narrow down what the problem may be in any way?

thanks again for your time.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:29 AM

Okay does your video card have a power connector on it?

What i mean by a power connector is if you inspect the video card, it may have a four pin riser, where a connector from your PSU would connect to it for direct power from your PSU.

I have to admit I have not checked the specs on your video card, so I am asking you if this is the case.

You say the motherboard is new and so is the graphics card. I have seen hardware that came out of the box with faulty soldered connections.

If neither piece of hardware is defective, the video card or the motherboard and yet there is no video on the screen or a post beep code from the BIOS, then I would have to assume there is a power connector that is not connected somewhere.

You said the 20/24 pin ATX power harness is attached to its connector on the motherboard.

You said the 12 volt power connector is connected to the 12V 4 pin connector on the motherboard.

If this is the case your motherboard should be getting power.

Is the power/sleep connection from the towers front panel hooked up correctly?

The front panel of your computer case should have a switch which your BIOS normally would assign a soft power off option, I realize you can not get to the BIOS at this point because you can not get a POST screen or video.

I would recheck the plugs that go to the wires on your computers front panel for a possible mix up on those plugs.

There should be LEDS for the HHD and power LED.

There should be a reset button and the power on switch which also has a sleep or power soft off ability.

If these connectors are hooked up wrong on the motherboard, this can cause problems when trying to start up the computer.

It is worth rechecking those, because I know personally even with the years I have in building computers I have made slight errors with what wires go to what when it comes to hooking up those front panel controls.

What makes our jobs hard is when a computer case manufacturer does not mark the plugs on the wires that go to the front panel controls, I have seen this plenty of times.

Bruce.

#11 Xerces

Xerces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:18 PM

yes my card has a 4 pin power connection, which is connected. with the power on the card fan spins and lights are on, so it is getting power.

the motherboard has 24 power cable, a 4 pin in a line connection and a 4 pin in a square connected. a green light comes on and heatsink fan spins.

Im no expert on cards or motherboards but cant see any visible problems with soldering, and i de-static myself before handling.

#12 Xerces

Xerces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:40 PM

the front panel cables are labelled, ive hooked them up as followr:

speaker- speaker (4 pin)
reset sw- reset (2 pin)
power sw- power (2 pin)
power led-pled (3pin)
then the last one is hdd led and thats connected to (the first letter i think is I) IDE LED (2pin)

thats leaves a brown 2 pin and a 2 pin light blue connections (under these are written GAME PANEL) also there are 3 '1 pin' white connections all with nothing in them

#13 Xerces

Xerces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

also there is a grey and red wire with a flat plastic flap (where the connectors are on the other panel wires) with a thin metal strip inside, but i think its a thermometer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users