Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Interference With Headphones... Help!... Please?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Calso

Calso

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:52 AM

Hello,

I just bought a new set of headphones today that have a Vibration funtion which acts like extra bass, it connects into the usb port but when I connect it on my home computer it makes a loud buzzing noise in my headphones, I didn't have that problem when I tried them at work... Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:02 AM

:thumbsup: to BC Calso.

Headphones that vibrate? What will they think of next? :flowers:

I assume the USB connection is just to pick up power i.e. you plug into the audio jack as well?
If so it could be a difference in the USB power capabilities of your home system and work system. Are you plugging directly into the system in both cases or going via a USB Hub? If so is the hub powered or passive?
See what happens if you change to a directly connected USB port e.g. one on the back of the tower next to the keyboard and mouse connectors.

hth :trumpet:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Calso

Calso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:07 AM

Yea I tried that, put it in the front port and then the back port... Nope... Same problem... :thumbsup:

BTW, my computer is quite new.

#4 Calso

Calso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:12 AM

Ok, I have had a play around with things and now I know what it is! Its my amp, I have got a home made amp system for my computer because my standard computer amp/soundcard really sucks, sound is low volume and crap quality, hence the reason we made a home made amp...

Ok so I need to either get a new soundcard or new amp?

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:33 AM

What soundcard do you have? With modern soundcards you usually need to use amplified speakers but they should drive the headphones OK plugged in direct. Are all your software volume controls turned up? (right click on the speaker in your system tray)
Depending on what kind of volume you want 2+1 PC speakers are pretty good these days for not much money.
I came across a set of Creative Inspire 2.1 speakers a while back for AU$90 and even though they are bottom of the range they're damn good.
:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 10 November 2005 - 06:35 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 Calso

Calso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:55 AM

Yea I thought the same thing too, when I bought my computer the soundcard when good with speakers but as soon as I put some headphones into the sound card the quality was crap... So I am guessing that the soundcard isn't meant to have headphones plugged into it. Or wasn't tested for headphones when it was made. Something stupid like that... Its a good soundcard just for speakers tho!

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:51 PM

I'm fairly sure your problem is caused by an "Earth loop" which is an audio problem caused by different components having different zero volts (or Earth) connections. The USB connector is going to the zero volts of the PC power supply, the audio jack is connected to the zero volts of the amp. Because the two have different paths, and there is mains power involved, you can get an annoying 50Hz buzz that can be loud.
I don't know how you can fix that, it is really caused by the amp but there is no guarantee that another amp would be any different.

A PC sound card, capable of driving your headphones, would fix the problem because then you would have both USB and the audio jack connecting to the same earth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users