Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loaner computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Calikinakka

Calikinakka

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:56 PM

Hello all,

I'm having some issues with a loaner PC. It is an HP a6500f
I put my Mushkin 550w PSU in place of the 250w that was in there. Barely fit, but I got it without any damage to anything.

The problem is I'm trying to use my 9800GT in it so I can continue to work in Photoshop while I wait for my other board to get back in. The machine works well enough on it's own, but when I install the video card, it will power up, but give no display on either video card or integrated graphics. I've tried to update the bios, but that didn't seem to help. I know the card is good as well. While survivable without the video card, I'm having to use my wife's pc for photoshop which annoys her to no end. Help!

While it doesn't matter, system is running vista, all hardware passes hardware tests (I have PC Check) I know it isn't a power issue.

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:25 PM

Does the video card work Okay in Safe mode?

Also some video cards require a setting in the computers BIOS utility to be set properly for the video card to work.

Or there may be a power socket on the card that requires power directly from your PSU.

I do not know how long you will be stuck with using this loaner, but if it isn't going to be for long, I wouldn't go to too much trouble to get it working.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 15 September 2010 - 12:26 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Calikinakka

Calikinakka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:36 PM

When powering on with the 9800 in, it doesn't display anything. I'm pretty much at the point you suggested, not worrying too much about it. I just have to wait for the RMA to finish and put the board back in. Thanks for taking the time to help me brain storm though!

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

Not a problem.

I hope when your RMA comes back everything works out well for you.

If not, please come back and tell us what help or assistance is needed and we will gladly offer you some assistance if needed.

Best of luck to you.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users