Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My hard drive is stopping my computer from booting.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 btsgreg

btsgreg

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:56 PM

When I have the drive plugged in, Windows gets to the to the 'Starting Windows' page, hangs, and then restarts after about five minutes. Unplug it, and everything works normally. This drive has all of my movies, pictures, and of course: my entire life. Does anyone have any bright ideas on how I can extract the data from the drive?

I can boot my Windows 7 disk with the drive in, so I was thinking maybe an Ubuntu Live disk would work for moving the files over to a healthy drive...? Any other ideas are appreciated, the data on the drive is vital.

Also, does anyone know the URL to the website which downloads multiple installers for you after a reformat?

Edited by btsgreg, 14 September 2010 - 10:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:40 AM

How many drives are attached to this system?

Where do you intend to move these files, assuming that they are accessible?

Louis

#3 btsgreg

btsgreg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:27 AM

There are five drives total. One TB drive, one 750GB, and three 500GB drives. The problem drive is one of the 500GB ones.

I intend on moving these files to my TB drive, because there's at least 500GB free and I could "move all" from the problem drive.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:12 PM

If you have a boot/system drive that works (or another system)...all you have to do is make the troubled drive a secondary attached drive...boot into Windows...and see if you view/move files from the questionable drive.

That will allow you to see if there's any life/readability in it.

My experience has been that...when an attached drive prevents XP from booting, it's pretty close to death.

I currently have a drive attached that is predicted to fail in 3 days...but the system can boot with it attached.

If you can neither view or access files...then your best bet would be to try recovery software (your choice).

Louis

#5 btsgreg

btsgreg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

If you have a boot/system drive that works (or another system)...all you have to do is make the troubled drive a secondary attached drive...boot into Windows...and see if you view/move files from the questionable drive.

That will allow you to see if there's any life/readability in it.

My experience has been that...when an attached drive prevents XP from booting, it's pretty close to death.

I currently have a drive attached that is predicted to fail in 3 days...but the system can boot with it attached.

If you can neither view or access files...then your best bet would be to try recovery software (your choice).

Louis

How do I make it a secondary attached drive? To clarify, I am booting Windows 7 - not XP.

I can neither view or access the files because I can't boot with the drive plugged in. Unplug it, and the system works normally.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

Might be not enough power
What size power supply do you have?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:45 PM

A pretty simple test for this drive...attach it, go into the BIOS.

If the BIOS properly reflects the drive...it may have some life left.

If the BIOS has no indication that such a drive is attached...I'd say that the drive is done.

If it's dead, cannot be detected by the BIOS...the chances of recovering any data I would have to rate as nonexistent. I don't know of anything that can detect a drive which the BIOS doesn't recognize...this obviously limits rescue efforts.

I suppose that you could try a linux distro, but I'm not familiar with such...only know that some claim that they can access drives which are otherwise inaccessible.

Louis

#8 btsgreg

btsgreg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:00 PM

I've run this set up for 8 months with no problems. I have a 750watt Corsair PSU.

The BIOS recognizes and displays the drive correctly.

EDIT: Removed unnecessary quotes. When replying to questions previously asked, no need to use quote button normally...members can follow the flow ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 21 September 2010 - 09:23 AM.

#9 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

which drive is the OS on. If not on the problem HD, why cant it boot? if on the problem HD, boot from a different HD an try to remedy. if wont boot only because drive is connected to the system, thats odd. perhaps getting an external case for internal hard drives and using the drive VIA USB would help?
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

<<...if wont boot only because drive is connected to the system, thats odd.>>

I've had that experience with a couple of bad drives...Windows cannot complete the proper hardware detection with the drive connected...and the boot just hangs. Windows and motherboards can be quirky on this point :thumbsup:.

The fact that Windows boots minus the drive...would have been sufficient proof for me that the drive is bad...although it could always theoretically be a possible PSU issue. I have enough hardware lying around that it's pretty easy/quick for me to sort these kinds of scenarios out.

Louis

#11 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:11 AM

oh, ok then that makes sense I didnt think of the hardware test. I post on threads that i want to know the answer to also, so thank you.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#12 DickNervous

DickNervous

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

Try using a USB adapter for the drive, either SATA or IDE whichever it is. This way you can boot the system and then plug the drive in via USB and see what happens.

Also, don't rule out a power issue. Just because it has worked for 8 months does not mean it still works. Try booting the system with just the boot drive, the problem drive, and the drive you want to transfer the data to.

Finally, there are ways to get the data off that drive if you want, they just cost anywhere from $280 to $1500 or more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users