Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Documents & Files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Crypto

Crypto

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

Hello Everyone!

Long time lurker around the forums but I have something I have never seen or dealt with before and I do repairs daily but I need help on this one guys! Today I was working on a vista machine and did a virus removal which went fine. After the restart I noticed the profile was corrupted. I couldn't access documents, control panel, etc it gave an access denied. I then went ahead and logged on to one of the other profiles on the pc and it work perfectly. So I created a new user profile and transferred all the documents and files over to the new one. After the restart I log on to the new one and everything was fine, programs worked, files were there, everything was good or so I thought. I then went and shut down the pc and started it back up, logged on and it took literally 10+ minutes to load. After it loaded it had no icons on the desktop, all the files in the documents folder were gone, pictures, music etc. All the programs are still installed, but no files. What is going on with this machine? Just another reason I f*****g hate Vista.

Oh and I already ran chkdsk, sfc, and it's clean from any infections I believe

Thanks for any help or advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:41 PM

Hmmm...there is no reason to blame Vista for your computer being infected. Usually, it's user's fault.

In any case...
1. Try Recuva: http://www.piriform.com/recuva
2. Go to "Am I Infected?" forum and make sure, your computer is clean.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Crypto

Crypto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:53 AM

Hi Broni

I never mentioned it was vista's fault for anything. I was simply asking why this was happening, the system files seem to be messed up but would that cause all my files to disappear from their location? One of the profiles is fine and works great, the one I'm talking about is giving errors so that is why I created another one to transfer the files over, and they did. But now they are gone. I'm positive the machine is clean, it the damage left behind that's confusing me.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,610 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

File(s) corruption happens, that's why you should always backup your data.
Did you try Recuva yet?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Crypto

Crypto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:22 PM

You still aren't reading my post fully Broni :huh: ... I"m asking what may have caused it and if there was fix other than what I stated I already tried. Besides it's not my computer it's for a customer and yes I already used Easeus to recover but my question is why it was happening, and your answer of simply stating they should have backed up their data, yes they should have but you should know as well as I do that people don't realize they should of until a disaster happens.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,610 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

There is no answer to your question.
Things like this just happen and more often, than not, we simply don't know why.

Computer is a machine, like a car.
You can take a very good care of your car, change oil every 3,000 miles and one day...boom...head gasket blown.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 Crypto

Crypto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

Ok I will take your non answer since you don't want to give any real help other than just stating the obvious. Please mod close this thread.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:33 PM

What have you done to your computer that has corrupted the profiles? Sounds to me like you have a piece of malware on your machine that is only affecting your profiles. I would recommend posting in the Am I Infected section. This is by no means Vista's fault.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users