Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Racing like its 1982!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 8bit

8bit

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:24 PM

Back in the golden days of gaming most of the popular arcade games were racing games. It was a great way to dream before being old enough to actually drive a car. Which classic games from the pre Gran Turismo era did you like growing up? One vote for Pole Position. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bump N' Jump Firebird

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

Pole Position

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:19 PM

Road Race for the VIC-20. A night drive (black screen) with white pylons rushing at you. But, in all honesty, I got my driver's license in 1969 -- not many computer games were available back then. :thumbsup:

#4 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:55 PM

Road Race But, in all honesty, I got my driver's license in 1969 -- not many computer games were available back then. :thumbsup:

Were there any computer games in 1969?

pong?

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:33 AM

I couldn't tell you exactly, but I remember being stunned by Pong in college, so that would have been '70 to '74.

We had pinball -- with very few electronic bells and whistles!

#6 datapanik

datapanik

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:42 AM

Check out whatever game is in the background of the promo video for "Computer Games" by New Zealand band Mi-Sex, released in 1979!

Wellm I don't know if it's from an actual game (well before my time, born in '87 here) but this video is awesome.

#7 8bit

8bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

Road Race for the VIC-20. A night drive (black screen) with white pylons rushing at you. But, in all honesty, I got my driver's license in 1969 -- not many computer games were available back then. :thumbsup:

That's true, I think we need to go back to the electro mechanical timed arcade games that often used pinball cabinets. Great fun, and very loud thanks to the moving parts and 8 track sound.

For example, the Sega Sand Buggy game of 1972. Ahh, it brings a tear to the eye to recall when Sega was still in the hardware game. Oh departed Dreamcast, where art thou now? Lol.

Sega Sand Buggy

And doesn't the cowboy in the artwork look like Hollywood legend Jimmy Stewart?

#8 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

Very Cool, I can't remember that one at the bowling alley or Putt-Putt or the skating rink.
Jimmy Stewart Crocodile Dundee looking dude.

Posted Image

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:26 PM

Physicist Willy Higinbotham invents the first "video game" at the Brookhaven National Laboratory in Upton, New York. His game, a table tennis-like game, was played on an oscilloscope.

Timeline: Video Games
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

Wow

That guy (Willy Higinbotham) spent his life working to limit the spread of nuclear weapons.

#11 8bit

8bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:49 PM

Physicist Willy Higinbotham invents the first "video game" at the Brookhaven National Laboratory in Upton, New York. His game, a table tennis-like game, was played on an oscilloscope.

Timeline: Video Games

It's always disputed which came out first, Magnavox Odyssey or Atari Pong, but that tennis game beats 'em hands down for earlyness, lol.

Can't ignore the bikes, and it's still sad Sega is out of the hardware game.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sand Buggy write up

Sega - The Fonz

#12 8bit

8bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

Super Sprint started out as the black & white Atari arcade game Gran Trak 10, and eventually got more sophisticated in color and ended up as one of the most popular games on NES. They were simpler times, they were better times.

Posted Image

#13 lti

lti

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

My local Pizza Hut used to have a Pole Position game. I was never able to play it because it was broken every time I went there. :crazy:

I am not old enough to have seen those old racing games back when they were new. I grew up playing games from the 1990s.

#14 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:02 AM

Pole Position is awesome!!!!!!!

Games of the early 80s were the best!!!!!!! (Arcade,etc)

#15 8bit

8bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:32 AM

Namco's 1980 classic, a forgotten gem, I liked it more than Pac Man.

Namco Rally-X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users